Does Freedome modify proxy settings?

Musicbee
Musicbee Posts: 16 New Member

Proxy settings keep constantly changing and AdwCleaner treats this as an infection. I've cleaned my computer several times.

Does Freedome change proxy settings and can this be a false positive?

AdwCleaner

What are the correct LAN settings for Freedome?

Windows 8.1

LAN settings

Comments

• Musicbee

Here are my proxy settings after they have been modified:

2015-05-08 17_21_26-Proxy Settings.png

• Musicbee

@Tehfcae wrote:

no Freedome does not change proxy settings. It looks like you may have malware installed on your machine and it is trying to route your internet data through a server to record/steal your information. I recommend looking into reformatting the machine. At the very least run a scan using your AntiVirus and a supplmental antivirus program such as malware bytes. 

I'm using Bitdefender, but the automatic scanning hasn't work for ages. I also run Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner,  rkill.com, Junkware Removal Tool and RogueKiller on a regular basis. This is partially Bitdefender's fault, the antivirus app never works correctly and basically "hijacks" my browser and email programs by installing unwanted add-ons that can't be removed very easily.

• Musicbee
    What does it mean in the proxy settings that "these settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections"?
  • Tehfcae
    Tehfcae Posts: 107 Contributor
    You should be careful when running multiple antimalware programs as they can turn each other off. I recommend having an anti-virus running along with malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside most antivirus companies unlikely most of those services. If you are interested in simplifying down to one antivirus and malwarebytes I recommend looking at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ to make your choice.

To answer your question about proxies, Proxies occur after a VPN connection so they will not change VPN connections.
  • Musicbee

@Tehfcae wrote:
    You should be careful when running multiple antimalware programs as they can turn each other off. I recommend having an anti-virus running along with malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside most antivirus companies unlikely most of those services. If you are interested in simplifying down to one antivirus and malwarebytes I recommend looking at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ to make your choice.

To answer your question about proxies, Proxies occur after a VPN connection so they will not change VPN connections.

I only have one antivirus software running, all others are virus scanners and suggest for proper cleaning: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/33evdi/suggested_reading_official_malware_removal_guide/

If I understood correctly, I have been safe because of a VPN? Malware haven't been able to monitor my connections?

• Tehfcae
    Tehfcae Posts: 107 Contributor

Short Answer: Most likely they were able to see your web traffic. However, it is hard to say if they were recording it.

Long answer: It is hard to tell as it depends on how the malware operates. Not all malware is used for tracking purposes, some are used to create bot nets, some allow an attacker to browse the internet anomalously, most are just adware that send you spam messages.

If you were infected by spyware that will depend on how that particular spyware watches what you are doing. If it was running a network scanning it would only see encrypted messages. If it was preforming a man-in-the-browser attack it would be able to see your web traffic, not nessisarily as plan text depending on if you were using HTTPS and other secure protocols. Some malware will set up a server that you connect to so all your web traffic goes through it. 

As you were connecting to a proxy server my guess is that was happening. It is very likely that they saw your web traffic but could not tie it back to your specific machine when you were connected to the VPN. This means if you entered any bank information such as onine purchases or logging into your banks website, there is a potential for identity theft. It is not gaureteed because it is hard to tell exactly what they malware was doing. This is because the goal of the malware may range from trying to get more hits on a specific website to identity theft. Essentially, no need to freak out and start living in a cave, but do keep an eye on your accounts as their is a possibilty they may be comprimised.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info