Access violation message, 20 or more times a day.

Since the most recent new free upgrade of F-Secure from Virgin, I now keep getting Access violation messages, all the time.  This is on an HP laptop.  No problems, I just click OK to get rid of the window, but it's very annoying.  This is the text of the message:

Access violation at address 004CFEA5 in module 'mdhpSUN.exe'    Read of address 00000078

This has happened before after installing upgrade to F-Secure, and then eventually stops happening.  What does it mean and why is it happening?  Can I do anything to stop it?

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I would suggest that you Google 'mdhpSUN.exe', which will give you some more information about the process. It appears to be part of an HP app called Magic Desktop, which was probably bundled in when you bought your PC.

It seems that this app may be safe to remove, which would probably solve your issue, but that would be your decision to make.

I'm not sure if the error message is anything to do with F-Secure, but you could try adding it to the Exclusions list so that FS stops scanning it. I don't know if that will stop the error messages, but it might be worth a try. Let us know if you need more help with that.

:)

• Caducea
    Caducea Posts: 5 Observer

Thanks, I will try that.  Magic Desktop is on the laptop - it seems to be for kids so can happily do without it.  Will come back and let you know if that helps.

• Caducea

Thanks for the advice, Simon.  I've looked at all the programs and Magic Desktop is no longer on the system (perhaps I've already taken it off? ) but was definitely there when I got the laptop and for some time afterwards.

The only reason I think it could be to do with F-Secure if because, each time there's an upgrade, this message keeps appearing for a while.  Then it stops happening, only to start again next time I upgrade.  Strange.

Could it be that I shouldn't have removed it?  (Not that I remember doing so......)

Many thanks for any more ideas/advice.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    In just guessing now, maybe it was removed, but not fully / properly? It sounds like the 'mdhpSUN.exe' file is either missing and something is looking for it, producing the error, or the file is still there, and something is trying to run it. Two suggestions spring to mind - firstly, try CCleaner which might find it as an orphaned / junk file or registry key. Secondly, as I mentioned before, add the exe file to F-Secure's exclusion list. You may need to find it first, so either do a full search of the PC, or look in the Program Files / Program Data folder for anything connected with Magic Desktop.

Other than that, I'm a bit stumped, but someone more expert than me might have some ideas.

Oh, by the way, does the error popup give any other information? If you Google the whole error message, you might find some ideas that way on what to do about it.
  • Caducea
    Thanks again, Simon. Will have a go at those things and come back to let you know what I find and if it helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info