Linux support for Key

tme
tme Posts: 2 Observer

Would it be possible to have Linux support for Key? I have found that using Key and Linux is quite hard. At first I open the page I'd like to login, then I dig my phone from a pocket, open Key and get the password, then type it to the keyboard while hoping to not make any typos. It is definitely a complicated process. Do you have any plans to extend the support in the near future?

Best Regards,

Teemu Ikonen

Comments

• S-W
    S-W Posts: 13

@tme wrote:

Would it be possible to have Linux support for Key?

Hi,

I had exact same problem, I just had an different approach :), see other topic

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Password/Running-F-secure-keys-under-wine/td-p/40099

I do not know if there is security issues, but there are some examples of nicely working linux software that has been done by combining windows software and specially tuned version of wine. Picasa by google for example. 

Br

S-W

• JuhaT
    JuhaT Posts: 55 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi,

As of now we are not planning to make Linux release of Key. Maintaining wide range of different window and package managers across different distros are always a challenge of their own...

Unless we'd do it in a terminal console mode using command line and/or curses. How would you feel about that option?

-Juha

• S-W

Hi,

I guess that console version is better than nothing. For me, it would be perfectly enough just to get password copy/paste to work (have to do it allready on ipad).

I understand problem with maintaining software releases for wide range of linux distros, unless code is open-sourced -and that is not likely to happen in this case Smiley Happy

Would there be any platform-independent possibilities? Like browser plugins? Html5? Java? Isn't android just one JRE?

Br

S-W

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee
  • JuhaT
    JuhaT Posts: 55 Former F-Secure Employee

It is not only a matter of code portability. There is the packaging and testing. Autofill requires window managers accessibility features etc etc. It could be that we make some kind of entry to Linux at some stage, but currently it is not in the release plans.

BR;

Juha

• A multiplatform-multibrowser compatible plugin/addon could be a good compromise. The market leader service provider in password and secure notes storage does provide solutions for a wide array of devices, operating systems and browsers.

Provide support for browsers, and you can win over many users.

The fully-fledged desktop application can come later.

• makan
    makan Posts: 18 Observer
    hi JuhaT, perhaps we can choose one of major window managers, so we can focus on one platform only
  • javali
    javali Posts: 1

A command line tool would be perfectly fine for me. I do not need autofill or such of properties. I already have a web browser plugin that can handle autofill operation when desired, but I need a password manager for my dozens of accounts other than websites, such as ssh, pin codes, SQL databases, door keys, etc.

• makan
    makan Posts: 18 Observer

yup, i think we can start with command line tool (ncurses or something). how about that, f-secure?

• bcow
    bcow Posts: 1
    command line tool minimum is required but enough to guarantee adaptation in the gnu/linux user base. (me included) possibly make it OSS so that community can worry about the packaging of your software and transparency to the source code will also benefit the brand of Key.
  • command line tool would be nice, +1 

• Would actually prefer a command line tool to a graphical one - I don't have the need to auto-fill anything, would just like to have a simple, no-nonsense password manager (add, remove, view, new and sync are the features I need) that is cross-platform.

• juma
    juma Posts: 1

A command line too would be nice as starters. But make it so that community can create different user interfaces for that.

• S-W

How about this kind of approach (since you can't have resources for everything):

Select one of current linux  password managers, like KeepassX ( Which I'm being told, was good enough for Edwards Snowden) and make option to export Keys data in format that is undertandable to KeepassX.

In that way linux users can transfer their passwords also to linux platform -even with some manual steps.

• Tahmis
    Tahmis Posts: 7 New Member
    Any news about this? I'm moving from win 8 to linux as microsoft is totally ruining it's products...
  • Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

There are no plans for this as of now. The more requests we get; we might consider this for the future.

• Tahmis
    Tahmis Posts: 7 New Member
    So how can it be requested? I guess many use different platforms at work and home. Especially those who use this kind of programs and recommend them to others to use them. It only requires one platform not to support Key to make it unusable. Because of that I would think it would be in your interest to make Key work on all platforms. As there is competitors for you that doesn't have this kind of limits. For me the problem is that I only trust you guys to store my passwords...
  • v-k
    v-k Posts: 1 New Member

+1 for this idea. Currently using F-Secure Key only on my Android devices, because there is no support for my desktop OS (= Linux).

If you're not going to implement this "for now", can you even publish some REST API for fetching my account data (=passwords) to my desktop. Yes, my implementation could be unsafe, but at least I'd have access to my data on the device of my choice. (Which is much better protected than *ANY* Android device btw...)

• Samizei
    Samizei Posts: 1 New Member

It seems for me atleast that more and more people are switching from windows to linux because these privacy issues with microsoft products. If i'm not wrong and this actually is the case would this linux support feature be possible in near future?

• MiikkaKoo
    MiikkaKoo Posts: 2 New Member
    Any news linux support?
  • Tapio_Kuosma
    Tapio_Kuosma Posts: 1 New Member

If someone has fought with F-Secure Key, Wine and Linux Ubuntu, I've been able to get it working with the following steps:

1. Enter these commands in the terminal followed by the enter key:

Sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key

Sudo apt-key add Release.key

Sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ 

Sudo apt-get update

2. Install Wine from the "Ubuntu software store"

3. Download and install the F-Secure Key PC version (will not work and gives an error message)

4. Configure Wine

5. Windows version: XP

6. Add fskey.exe to the Wine Applications list (it's in the program files (x86) directory)

7. Restart F-Secure MSI again and select "Repair"

8. Open Key, it should work now. :)

• MiikkaKoo
    MiikkaKoo Posts: 2 New Member

Works Arch/Antergos fine out off to box. Just install Wine and F-secure Key Windows version.

• Mike-North
    Mike-North Posts: 8 New Member

I have F-secure Key on Android-phone and windows10. Would have it on Ubuntu with pleasure.

• tnli
    tnli Posts: 1 New Member

Are there any new plans to offer KEY in Linux?

• Mike-North
    Mike-North Posts: 8 New Member
    We want keynux!
  • AgenttiX
    AgenttiX Posts: 2 New Member

Since there now is a distribution-agnostic universal package manager for GNU/Linux called Snappy which is widely used for commercial software such as Spotify, Skype, Slack, Discord, Telegram, Visual Studio Code and PyCharm, the argument about market fragmentation that F-Secure has been using no longer applies for Key. Please create GNU/Linux versions of your software, as this has a huge impact on the recommendations IT professionals give to average users and enables more users to switch to a more secure platform.