Cannot use F-secure online scanner inside China

I have used F-SecureOnlineScanner.exe for years(windows XP). Recently (from April?),  I can upgrade the recent version of F-SecureOnlineScanner.exe. However, it cannot download the virus pattern database any more. No internet connection Error.  

The VPN services I used have also been blocked since 2013.

Does any one has alter methods?

Comments

• Bayani
    Bayani Posts: 58 Enthusiast

Hi Ais,

Do you mean that Online Scanner just stops when trying to download virus pattern database? Are you able to start Online Scanner at all or does the issue occur after a while?

What kind of VPN services did you use?

Could you also make sure that you have got SP3 for Win XP installed?

• Ais
    Ais Posts: 5 Observer

Yes. It's a SP3 applied win xp. The online scanner program stops immediately after accept the legal agreement, and switch to download something. The error MSG is "no internet connection". 

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

I did a firewall test a few months ago to see how OnlineScanner behaves if it doesn't have internet access:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-online-scanner-Internet/m-p/46473/highlight/true#M8537 (with screenshots)

Sounds similar to your problem. But since XP doesn't have an outbound firewall (only inbound) perhaps it has something to do with OnlineScanner using temp files. Do you have any other security related program installed? (or any restriction policies)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

*but not... here was outdate dreams, which probaby not related with current trouble*

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Ais,

We haven't heard from you in a while, are you still having this trouble with Online Scanner?

// Chrissy

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

> Cannot use F-secure online scanner inside China

I think the only solution is to join the protests in Hong Kong. But beware, the party leadership may send battle tanks to flatten all those protesters, like they did in 1986...

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info