Freedome questions

Hi guys!

I was wondering about F-Secure Freedome...

How does Freedome's browsing protection and antivirus differs from Mobile Security's? Or do they? I mean, could Freedome replace Mobile Security if you're not so keen to the anti-theft feature, which Freedome doesn't have?

Regards,

OMR

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Good question!  My understanding is that Freedome is not final yet. This KB article explains the scanning and current limitations:

Freedome is scanning HTTP traffic and currently blocking Android application packages (.apk files) considered as harmful. For testing and demonstration purposes Freedome is also scanning all files downloaded from certain domains, such as .eicar.org and .amtso.org. The file scan performed is the same rigorous anti-virus scan that F-Secure is using also with other products. Freedome is selective about the file types due to performance considerations at the moment.

In the future the anti-virus scan will be extended to cover a wide range of files and protocols depending on the reputation of the accessed domain.

• OMR
    OMR Posts: 2

Thanks for the great answers!

I look forward to see how Freedome evolves over time. Maybe after my current Mobile Security's license expires I switch to Freedome. (It would be absolute best if Freedome and Mobile Security were fused together Smiley Very Happy)

Regards,

OMR

• mmwaikiki
    mmwaikiki Posts: 7

Yesterday working on my iPad Air (OS 7.1.1)  I lost all internet connectivity. Finally figured out the problem was Freedome. I removed it and voila normal internet access. My friend who had the app installed on her iPhone had the same problem. Tried reinstalling yesterday to no avail. Today reinstalling I get internet again. My guess is servers wee down but do not know.

Wrote to customer service and was told by Hafeeze that F-Secure does not support this app and refered me to this forum.  If the system goes down again I guess I just cancel my subscription and write my year payment off as a bad investment.  I relied on F-Secure reputation when I purchased but I guess i was wrong.

mmwaikiki

• Paivi
    Paivi Posts: 80 Former F-Secure Employee

You are right. Our US server was down for a while yesterday. We are sorry for the outage. The other servers, also the new one in Canada, were however available. We are working hard to build our systems so that our customers do not suffer from service outages in the future.

• mmwaikiki
    Thank you It certainly would be helpful if someone could post outages on Twitter or on your website so we did not have to guess what was wrong or when the system is back up
  • Paivi

Agree. We will be more active on Twitter (@FreedomeVPN) and communicate on possible issues with the service.

• mmwaikiki
    US servers down again second time this week. Getting frustrated
  • Paivi

I understand your frustration. The problems are, however, unrelated.

This time multiple DB servers were down at the same time and that's why VPN login authorisation failed. We will now distribute login authentication servers to multiple providers in order to prevent this from happening again.

All servers are now up and running.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

• mmwaikiki
    Seems every weekend Freedome stops working. First slowed down then nothing. I end up deleting and renewing profile every week it seems. Great when it works but very unreliable for me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi mmwaikiki!

Just wanted to see if you are still having these week(end)ly issues with Freedome, or if things have started improving?

• mmwaikiki
    Yes. I logged off for a week or so because I was so discouraged. Now I am on west coast US site for last 2 weeks and seems to be running fine
    Thank you
  • [Deleted User]

Good to hear, thanks for the update Smiley Wink

• mmwaikiki
    I am not sure if it is only me but day before yesterday my internet speed went from 15mbps to 1mbps I turn off Freedome and speed immediately goes back. I really like the app but I seem to constantly end up turning it off for a day or two after it slows my ipad to a snails pace

Thanks for all of your continued support
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi mmwaikiki!

Since there hasn't been any update here in a while, I just wanted to check and see if Freedome is working more smoothly for you these days? Got my fingers crossed Smiley Very Happy
  • Sorry I finally gave up and stopped using Freedome
    I did not get any answer for weeks and continued to have issues so I turned it off
    mmwaikiki
  • Paivi

Sorry to hear that you stoppped using Freedome. Was it because of connectivity issues? Few weeks back we suffered from a couple of performance issues on our service nodes, but they are all now solved.

Applogies for not getting back to you sooner.

Best, Päivi

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info