How do I stop that annoying pop-up?

Everytime I go into google chrome and onto every programme the infernal F internet security keeps popping up and I spend more time clicking cancel than looking at sites.  How on earth do I stop this annoying nuisence of a pop-up?

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

What is the popup asking or advising?  A screenshot would be useful.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Chicky,

In order to help you, could you provide more details on the pop-up? As mentioned by Simon, a screenshot could be very helpful in understanding the problem you are facing.

Which F-Secure product are you currently using?

• Chicky
    Chicky Posts: 5

Sorry I'm having a bit of difficulty inserting a screen shot of the pop-up.  

How do I do that?

• Simon
    Basically, hit Reply, then click the Image icon. You'll then get a popup with various insert options, and you want the one to upload an image from your computer. Click Browse, navigate to where you've saved the screenshot, then click to Insert the image into the post.
  • NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

In case you need more help than that:

1. It's the Print Screen button, usually "prt sc" in short. If you have a laptop it might also require you to press the Fn (function key) or similar. Pressing Print Screen saves an image to the clipboard.

Pressing the Alt key + Print screen will take an image only of the active window and not the entire screen.

2. Start the Windows Paint program(mspaint.exe) and press Ctrl+V to paste the image from the clipboard. If you want you can now edit/cut/hide parts of the screenshot to protect any private sensitive information.

3. Save the image to disk.

4. Now you can follow Simon's advice Smiley Wink

• NikK

FYI, only Chicky can see the image until a moderator has approved it, hopefully tomorrow. This new approval system is getting pretty annoying Smiley Sad

• Simon
    Oh, so that's what the triangles are? I brought this up in another thread but never got an answer. Yes, it certainly doesn't help when we are trying to diagnose issues. Smiley Sad
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Just because picture already are visible:

- Current pop-up is DeepGuard prompt about launch of "suspicious/malicious" application, which already previously was blocked (or automatically; or by user-choice):

It's mean - for stop that:

You need to go on F-Secure Computer Security UI - Tools - Application Permissions (DeepGuard Storage) and remove/allow current application on the list;

BUT

Name of application can be related with PUP/Toolbar/Search-engine and can be on system by adware;

How I can to understand - related with Conduit.

If you don't need or want that search-engine (which probably close to malicious/suspicious/unwanted)  - it's mean you not need to do something with DeepGuard storage (and allowed part of that application);

If you did not install that search-engine or other related points (like toolbar/BHO/add-on/plug-in) by your "feels" - need to clean your system from that "payload";

But for any actions about clean  - need to certainly know... which situation you have (you can to check list of plugins/toolbars/addons/search-engines or maybe it's can be on Control Panel of Windows) for understanding - what certainly "potentially unwanted program here" or maybe here "malicious" sample.

• Chicky

Thank you NikK, I clicked on the link you posted and it seems to have done the trickWoman Very HappySmiley Very Happy

• NikK

Just clicking the link won't solve anything, so there's no confusion Smiley Wink

If the "pop-up" returns you need to look closer at the previous page I linked. It mentions several removal tools, but I recommend you to try http://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ first.

It's likely you got this "potentially unwanted program" (PUP) causing the pop-up, from installing a toolbar or other free software.

• Chicky

Thanks NikK, the pop-up has efinitely stopped and I have an idea I got it when I installed a PDF converter...Do'H Smiley Embarassed I really must learn to be careful especially as I no longer have a computer whizz

living here anymore...thanks again for your help and for everyone else who posted 

• NikK

Well then I'll give you one advice that may help you decide future installations of programs:

After downloading the new program, but before installing/running it, go to https://www.virustotal.com/ and upload the downloaded file and scan it. VirusTotal is a multi-engine scanner with more than 50 different anti-virus and anti-malware scanners. F-Secure is one of them. So for example if F-Secure is unable to detect something "bad" with the file, hopefully any of the other scanners picks it up. You could do a test with the PDF converter if you still have it.

Note that if only one or a couple of the scanners detect something, chances are that those detections are false positives(wrongly detected) and the program is OK. Really nasty programs will be detected by almost all scanners.

I try to only install programs that has no detections which is presented as detection ratio: 0/51  (51 products scanned the file and 0 of them detected something)

And if you want to check a certain web site instead of a file you can do that on VirusTotal as well: https://www.virustotal.com/#url

Another good thing to check before using a to you unknown web site is it's reputation on WOT (Web Of Trust): https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard  

• SamD
    SamD Posts: 2

Hi All,

I know this thread is a little old, however, I am at my wit's end with the pop-up that I've had to deal with for the last week perpetually assaulting my screen every 5-10 minutes during use of programes like Chrome (please see below screen cap for guidance).

I tried to deleting the F-secure files and re-installing (as per another forum's suggestion) unfortunatly this has done litterally nothing to help and I continue to get blighted by this ruddy pop-up. 

Any suggestions for its removal / mercyless destruction welcome (may consider a sedgehammer).

Yours faithfully,

Irate.

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 08.35.16.png

• SamD
    SamD Posts: 2

I should also state (sorry for forgetting) that none of the provided options do anything. 

• Simon
    Forgive me asking the obvious, but I assume the product has a valid subscription?
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info