System vulnerabilities scanner

Hello,

Would it be appropriate a system vulnerability scanner tool?

To check the operating system update and main programs or other software known vulnerabilities.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Bitdefender has one, and I certainly found the Windows Update tool useful.  Have you suggested it via the Beta program team?

• sapiens
    sapiens Posts: 14 New Member

Yes, I did.

But I was curious to know the opinions of other users.

Currently F-Secure beta shows simple. I think it can only be added useful tools.

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

Vipre has one too, works very well but useless if you're a reasonably aware user

• Simon
    One thing I found with the Bitdefender one was that it seemed to flag Windows updates sooner than Windows Update did. A double edged sword, perhaps, in some instances, but sometimes useful for urgent security patches that otherwise might be delayed.

The main problem with the BD one was that you either had to have a huge widget cluttering up your Desktop, or you had to manually check to see if any vulnerabilities had been flagged. A better system would be an option for the user to have popup alerts, similar to those when a virus or malware is detected.
  • sapiens
    sapiens Posts: 14 New Member

I think not only operating system updates would be covered by such a tool. But rather other helpful programs like Java, Adobe, Flash Player...

Could be included in search various software vulnerabilities, that are known at a time.

Perhaps as an independent scanner in scanning options menu.

• Simon

There is already a program that monitors updates for Java, Adobe, Flash Player, etc, and that is Secunia PSI.  :)

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

I appreciate F-Secure because it's cleverly strealined, it does not look like a swissknife as some others do.

This discussion has been closed.