Virus and Spyware Scanning

All of a sudden I am getting a small window after scanning headed VIRUS AND SPYWARE SCANNING

Underneath that it says VIRUS COULD NOT BE REMOVED

Underneath that in smaller font THE OBJECT COULD NOT BE CLEANED

AND underneath trhat is a button saying CLOSE

Malwarebytes does not report a virus nor malware.

The small window appears several times a day.

What do I do about it?

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Is there no option to click for further details, when you get the popup?  If not, try opening Launch Pad then go to Computer Security > Settings > Virus and Spyware Scanning > View Removal History and see if anything is there that might give any clues, even if it's saying the virus couldn't be removed / cleaned.

The other thing to check, even though it doesn't give that much information, is the Notifications History from the F-Secure tab on Launch Pad (or by right clicking the F-Secure tray icon).  You could also try looking in Action Centre, again from the F-Secure tray icon.

Not sure what else to suggest at this stage.

• Simon

You could try running a scan with BitDefender's free scanner, and see if that yields any further information:

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/scanner/online/free.html

• There are no entries in my Cleaning History.

Quarantine is empty, tabs are virus, spyware and Riskware, all free of entries.

There is no other option for further details, it is just like I informed the community.

Thanks for your reply but I am stumped! 

• I went to the site and run Bitdefender online scanner. 

It did not turn up anything at fault in my computer.

Malwarebytes did not turn up anything at all, my machine is free of malware BUT this annoying window continues to emerge at regular intervals.

How do I get rid of the window?

Thanks for replying and trying to help.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

It's can be something like zip-archive (for example, .7z) in System Volume Information. Or another files in something, which not possible to "clean" or delete by automatically engines. But it's possible delete by hand - if you don't need that file.

Also just probably for F-Secure team will be helpful next information:

- which operation system you have (Windows/version...)

- which version of F-Secure (AV/IS / version).

---------------------

Anyway - also probably all "other" scan-processes (by another tools/programs) more good to do by Safe Mode and for most folders (include System Volume Information - probably for any online scanners - it's not a default function);

And what certainly you mean during words about window?

- it's right side (down of screen/attention-side) with information about "something found and need to scan system for prevent any bad things"? After what it's give alert about found something, which not possible to clean/delete?!

And it's mean happened during "automatic real-time scanning";

- it's just window about "virus founded and not possible to clean/delete that" - where you have variants for next "steps"?

- it's just manual scan by some directories or during access to some folders?! Or smart/full scan for system?

Anyway - it's probably must be information during that "window" about "files, which founded or just name of "detect";

Also it's probably anyway must be in History of Viruses and Spyware (possibly to open just from Scan Wizard UI or from Computer Security UI with Settings-part;  Quarantine - another thing; Also that list of history can be loaded not so fast);

Also - did you try Full Scan for system by F-Secure already ?

Here just can be - "one file", which alerted by F-Secure in each time during "real-time scanning" - and it's can be stuck in "system volume information" with some of "zip-archive" or "broken files" or "something, which already in use";

Or.... each time new file... which can be like "troubles in system" - how if it's worms/viruses created, but it's also can be related with some of processes in system. Anyway - try if you want..... start full scan by F-Secure;

If it's not give any results or information;

Try to find something... which can to work with Safe Mode... or which can be like rootkit-scanner. MBAM not enought in situation... if it's something, which can to prevent/detect that program. Try to re-name MBAM .exe-file, for example ;

But if it's already installed - it's can be "broken" - if you have some kind of malware in system.

• Hi,

TalkTalk Security 9.01.build 105 [F-Secure Anti-virus 9-10 build 15261]

Windows Home Premium Service Pack 1 Version 6.1.7601

TalkTalk Security 9.01 build 105

F-Secure Anti-Virus 9.10 build 15261
    F-Secure Automatic Update Agent 8.25 build 3737
    F-Secure User Interface 9.01 build 5078
    F-Secure Management Agent 8.10 build 30088
    F-Secure Parental Control 8.40 build 15270
    F-Secure DeepGuard 2.20 build 146
    F-Secure Online Help 2.00 build 1450
    Customization 
    F-Secure Sidebar Gadget 1.00 build 192
    F-Secure Service News 1.00 build 140
    F-Secure Browsing Protection/SW 1.10 build 5861
    F-Secure Browsing Protection/ES 0.70 build 530

Portions:
    Copyright (c) 1994-2010 Lua.org, PUC-Rio.
    Copyright (c) Reuben Thomas 2000-2010.

For full license information please see licenses-fsewin.txt in the product installation folder.

Portions:
    Copyright (c) 1994-2007 Lua.org, PUC-Rio.
    Copyright (c) 2005 Malete Partner, Berlin, partner@malete.org
    This software is copyrighted by the Regents of the University of California, Sun Microsystems, Inc., Scriptics Corporation, ActiveState Corporation and other parties.
    Copyright (c) Reuben Thomas 2000-2006.

For full license information please see licenses-fsuss.txt in the product installation folder.

Portions
            Copyright (c) 1996-2001 Intel Corporation

For the full license information please see licenses-CDSA.txt
    in the product installation directory.

Copyright (c) 1993-2009 F-Secure Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

This product may be covered by one or more F-Secure patents, 
    including the following: GB2353372, GB2366691, GB2366692, GB2366693, 
    GB2367933, GB2368233.

F-Secure Anti-Virus Copyright (c) 1993-2011, F-Secure Corporation
    Portions:
    Copyright (c) 1997-2011 BitDefender
    Copyright (c) Yooichi Tagawa, Nobutaka Watazaki, Masaru Oki, Tsugio Okamoto
    Copyright (c) 1990-2002 ARJ Software, Inc.    
    Copyright (c) 1990-2003 Info-ZIP
    Copyright (c) 1996-2000 Julian R Seward
    Copyright (c) 1996-2007, Daniel Stenberg, <daniel@haxx.se>

"F-Secure" and the triangle symbol are registered trademarks of F-Secure Corporation and F-Secure product names and symbols/logos are either trademarks or registered trademarks of F-Secure Corporation.

All product names referenced herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.

This product includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/). Copyright (c) 1999 The Apache Software Foundation.

Portions: 
    Copyright (c) 2004, 2005 Metaparadigm Pte Ltd
    Copyright (c) 1996 - 2009, Daniel Stenberg, <daniel@haxx.se>
    For full license information please see licenses-orsp.txt in the product installation folder.

I COULD NOT FIND A MEANS OF ATTACHING DOCUMENTS!

Doing a Manual Scan of my computer it points me to the report. The Report totalled:
    Viruses 1
    Spyware 0
    Riskware 0

The Virus pointed me to a Dell Program called "QUICKSET"

I could not delete the program by way of Control Panel so I manually deleted it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I do the correct thing?

Thanks for trying to help, if successful then this thread is terminated.
  • Simon

If you search for DELL Quickset on Google, there's quite a lot about it - it seems to mainly provide functionality from the Fn key on laptops, notebooks, etc.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell/49531-dell-quickset.html is one example

If you hadn't deleted it, you could have Submitted it as a Sample to F-Secure, who could have confirmed it as safe, as it may have been a false positive.  I guess if deleting has solved the problem, then that's OK, but if you lose some functionality, you may have to look further into it.

• Thanks for that. I do not require QUICKSET on my computer so I did the correct thing in deleting the program. Before I deleted the program I delved into it in a big way and decided I don't need the program. Everything seems to be working as normal AND I DO NOT GET THE ANNOYING WINDOWSmiley Happy)))))))))) Thanks to everyone who responded.
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info