How to install F-Secure SAFE on your PC - for Virgin Media customers

To install F-Secure Internet Security for SAFE on your computer, we recommend to first uninstall any other Anti-Virus products.

If you are using Virgin Media Security, please follow the steps below.

In case you use any other Anti-Virus software, please uninstall it following the vendors’ instructions.

Afterwards, please continue with the installation of F-Secure Internet Security.

Please check out our introduction video, which shows the installation process

Windows Updates

We recommend to update Windows before installing F-Secure Internet Security.

1. Click start, navigate to the control panel, System and Security, Windows Update.

2. Install all important updates

3. Restart your computer when prompted

Removing Virgin Media Security

1. Download Virgin Media Uninstaller Tool: http://dl01.radialpoint.net/Virgin/Uninstall/UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe

2. Close open applications and save your work (e.g. Office documents)

3. Double-click the downloaded file (UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe) and follow the instructions.

4. Please wait for the uninstallation to finish. Do not switch off your computer as it will be restarted automatically once it has been completed.

Installing F-Secure Internet Security

1. Go to F-Secure MySafe Portal: https://mysafe.f-secure.com/login

- If you have not created an account yet, please register to the portal first

- Virgin Media customers: Please register only by following the link from your Virgin Media portal.

2. Enter your email address and password.

- Click forgotten password if you do not remember your MySafe password.

3. Click the install button at F-Secure Internet Security

- You will be prompted to install either to "This device" or "Another device"

- Select "This device" if you want to install F-Secure Internet Security on the computer you have used to access the MySafe portal

- Select "Another device" if you want to install F-Secure Internet Security on a computer you have not used to access the MySafe portal

4. Enter a name for your device, e.g. Johns Laptop and click "add". This allows you to later easily identify the computer in your MySafe portal.

5. Confirm the download.

6. Follow the download instructions and start the installation

7. Follow the installation instructions (Language selection, End User License terms, etc.)

8. The installation will prompt for a restart, if needed.

More information

All about your MySafe Portal

All about F-Secure Internet Security

All about F-Secure Anti-Virus for Mac

All about F-Secure Mobile Security

Comments

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

A post sorely needed; thanks for the time and effort, Stephan.

I have posted a link to this thread on the Virgin Media Support Forum.

Let's hope they read this missive first before trying Virgin's previous suggestions.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    That's brilliant; and should help a lot of people. Thanks Stephan! :)
  • Dally
    Dally Posts: 3

Have logged in several times and install does not appear (just blank section where install buttons should be. Anybody else having this problem? Any solutions?

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

If you have another browser, give that a try. If you have access to another computer or tablet etc, give that a try. Just to see if it is anything in your computer or browser that is blocking it.

• Dally

Just tried Internet Explorer (previously Google Chrome) and got message :

Content was blocked because it was not signed by a valid security certificate.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

where install icons should be. With Google Chrome just got a sad faced page. 3 days now with no updated protection.

• NikK

In that case it sounds like a computer problem since it's affecting two different browsers.

Check if your computer clock is set to correct date & time. And also correct Time Zone. That can cause errors as certificates are time limited.

Other than that I don't know. Try on another computer.

If you don't get any more advice you can contact support:

Support Request

Call Support 

Online Chat

• Mboy
    Mboy Posts: 8

I wish this had been put out in the email from Virginmedia!

My first attempt hung the machine up solid at 96% installed and took one licence. The second attempt did actually install after a fashion but showed the second element (Content Control?) had failed and took another licence. This one is not recognised by Windows security so it says I have no virus protection. How do I know if the system is protected and if it is not will it consume yet another licence if I re-install?

Having learnt the hard way I did successfully install it to my laptop. Both systems running XP professional. It will have to improve very gratly to keep me at the end of the "free" period.

Mboy

• Simon
    The licenses shouldn't be an issue, as you can swap inactive licenses from one machine to another.
  • Dally

Thanks for your help Nikk. but still no luck.. I havre uninstalled VMS, checked time/date, timezone. Don't have another computer to try so have raised the problem with support

• NikK

If you have a smartphone or tablet, try from that. Don't know if the SAFE portal works from those, but if you have one just try and see.

ps. I searched the net for the certificate error you got and most of the hits for people having those problems were running Internet Explorer 8 which is a very old version, and the latest supported version for Windows XP. So if you have XP I think you should consider getting a newer Windows version.

• Simon
    Bearing in mind that Microsoft will be withdrawing support for Windows XP in a few months, I wonder if F-Secure, and other software companies will be doing the same?

I have to admit, I held onto XP up to just a few months ago, but the transition to Windows 7 was fairly painless, especially once I'd made it look like XP again! Smiley Very Happy The only issues I had were a couple of old programs that wouldn't work, but I just found suitable upgrades for them. My main computer is about 5-6 years old, and Windows 7 had no trouble finding drivers, etc, so all my hardware runs fine.

I also have a a Windows 8 laptop, and that was more of a radical learning curve, but I'm just about used to it now. I'd still recommend Windows 7 over 8 though, especially coming from XP.
  • Mboy

Having now followed your instructions F secure has installed and is working. What a shame Virginmedia didnot put this information out in their original email. As a result even though I have only installed F secure on my Desktop and laptop as far as F secure is concerned I have used 3 licences.

I will also have to contact my daughter to make sure her installation is functional as she too was unaware of the special requirments for those with virginmedia security on their machines.

Mboy

• Mboy

Thanks for that. When the Ubuntu version is available (beyond Beta) I'll install that (I dual boot on laptop and third machine is ubuntu only) So I'll move a licence for that

Mboy

• Karen
    Karen Posts: 1

Can anyone advise?

I am a Virgin Media customer and I have tried to install FS but failed. I have followed the various helpful advice

• Have ensured no updates for windows.
    • Taken off Virgin security and any other I think!
    • Rebooted
    • Reloaded

and all to no avail the program loads to circa 77% then fluctuates but hangs at circa 99%.

I have spent hours on what is described as an easy task and am about to give up.

The only thought I have is the spec for the FS program requires

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent.

I have Intel Celeron processor T3100 does anyone know is this is classed as equivalent?  My OS is Windows 7 64-bit

It may be that my PC will not support the program! Or had anyone got any further ideas.

Yours very frustrated.

K

• Simon
    If you've definitely removed VMS using the uninstall tool, and any other security software, using their uninstall tools (links in stickies at top of board), then I would suggest running the F-Secure Uninstallation Tool, reboot, and atart again. It could be that the FS installation has partly installed, preventing further attempts at a full installation.
  • NikK

Karen, sounds like you have a fairly new PC so the requirements shouldn't be the problem. If they were you probably would have received a specific message about it at the beginning of the installation. The Celeron T3100 is a newer and more powerful(dual-core) processor than Pentium 4.

Follow Simon's advice, especially about the specific additional removal tool for Virgin Media Security: "UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe". It's in the first post of this thread, on page 1.

If you are unsure about having removed all other security products, download AppRemover and let that check your computer. When it shows a list if installed "Security Applications", write them down and then exit the application without letting it remove anything. If it finds any, get back to us and we'll help you decide if you should remove them or not.

Give Kudos to say "thanks". Click "Accept as Solution" to inform others when your issue's been solved
    Need more help? Submit a Support Request or chat / call F-Secure support
  • Stephan
    Stephan Posts: 340 Influencer

Hello NikK,

License management in SAFE is a little bit different.

You don't have license keys anymore.

You do all the license/device management in your MySafe portal.

If you want to install a computer, you just click install in the portal.

If there are no seats available, you can remove a installation from the portal.

No entering of license keys anymore. No wondering which key was used on which device. No guessing of expiration dates and no need to "move" licenses around.

You have everything in one place :)

Cheers,
    Stephan

• Simon
    That sounds a better system.

Thanks for the update, Stephan.
  • NikK

Stephan, thanks for that great explanation! I had no idea.

I don't think any of us frequent "Contributors" uses SAFE, so no wonder there were confusion.

• Mboy

The only left over problem from the baddly handled change over from Virginmedia security to F secure is that in my case my subscription runs out on 3rd December even though I didn't get a satisfactory installation until 2nd January so I will only get 11 months for the price of 12!

Mboy

• Please can someone give me any advise.....?

I am trying to download Safe becaue I am a virgin media customer. I have gone through sign up and selected my laptop but when it started downloading it doesn't go any further than 75% during the uninstalling process of all the old anti virus software. It tells me to reboot which I do but it stays on 75% after the reboot for a while and then tells me to reboot......

i've tried uninstaling it but now it's not even lettng me go past the "download" button.

any ideas??? i've also updated Windows so all pre download prep done.

• Simon

Hi Ben,

In the first post of this this thread, there is a link to download the Virgin Media Uninstall Tool.  Download and run that, then try the FS installation again.  Unfortunately, the instructions from Virgin Media to allow the program to be automatically uninstalled have turned out to be flawed - the program needs fully removing before installing FS.

• Hi,

Thanks for the info. I used the http://dl01.radialpoint.net/Virgin/Uninstall/UserCommunity-Uu-RpsUU.exe link but when I try to go back to FS it goes back to the download at 75% and then the whole loop starts again..... any further help woul be appreciated....

• Simon
    OK, try using the F-Secure Uninstall Tool to completely remove F-Secure and start again:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-Uninstallation-Tool/m-p/31265/highlight/true#M5608

Also, check for any pending Windows Updates and install them, as sometimes they can affect the FS installation.
  • NikK

Did it restart after running that tool? If not, reboot.

Does it still hang during the uninstall process of the old anti-virus, or is it now during the installation process?

• it's weird.. yes rebooted after uninstall tool. But the same thing happened. I have even completely removed the f secure and started again from scatch. After this it still says that it has detected Norton 360 and is removing. This was at 51%. then it jumped back to 75% and wnt into the reboot cycle again. What's trange is that i'm pretty sure Norton 360 is not on this laptop. Don't think i've ever had it and can't find it to manually remove it. maybe a virus stopping me updating my security..?

• Simon
    Hopefully, if you go to the stickies at the top of the forum, you'll find a list of other products' uninstall tools. Have a try with the Norton / Symantec one and see if it helps. Maybe you installed a Norton 360 trial at some point?
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info