System Tray Icon

Simon
Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Has anyone else noticed their FS system tray icon sometimes disappearing, or not appearing at all after start up?  I've had this issue a number of times, with different versions of FS, and on different operating systems, and can't get to the bottom of it.  I submitted a bug report a couple of months back, but the guys couldn't see anything that might be causing it.  I have submitted another bug report today, as this still occasionally happens, and it would be interesting to see if anyone else has seen the same.  FS is still running, without the icon present, so I'm not concerned about security being compromised - it's just something I'd be interested to solve.

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Yes, exactly like you describe. It happens on a XP machine in my case. I have even set the icon to 'always show', but sometimes it does not just appear even though F-Secure is running and has all it's programs/services running.

No messages, no event log entries about an F-Secure error or warning.

Unfortunately the only solution I've found is reboot.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Yes, a reboot is the only solution.  It happened in XP for me, and also now with Windows 7, and with FS versions 2012, 2013, and the ongoing betas, which I am still trialling, so I think it safe to assume it happens on 2014 too.

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

I must be a lucky one; have not seen the tray icon disappearing with any of the betas/TRs or the official IS 2013/2014 versions.

Windows 7, 64-bit machines.

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

In the XP where the problem is in my case, I'm still running IS 2012 only because it's the last version with FS own Firewall.

My Win7 32-bit does not have this problem, and I've run IS 2012/2013/2014.

If you don't find a proper solution, try adding the shortcut to F-Secure(or copy it from the desktop) to your Startup folder. It will only show the launchpad, but maybe that's enough to get the icon back?! It's difficult to verify though, as you never know when and how often the tray icon is missing.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info