F-Secure ISTP installer?

I downloaded and installed the "new" ISTP release from the beta section (after uninstalling the old beta).

However, the program still shows beta on the main Window, there is no CleanUp tool and the flyer appears the same.

About states  F-Secure 1.89 build 201.

Therefore is the new installer in place yet?

Comments

• Jouni
    Jouni Posts: 105 F-Secure Product Expert

Hello Blackcat,

The release mail was sent before the actual release, so the latest packages were not yet released back then.

However, if not already, at least during the next update check the product should download and start installing the latest version.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    Hi Jouni,

Sorry, are you saying the new version will automatically install through the regular update process, or do we need to install it as with a new product?
  • Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

I initially accepted the upgrade through the normal update process.

Big mistake. Bankguard protection would not work and the whole program was slow and caused some freezes.

Uninstalled, rebooted and carried out a fresh install. All is good again. So that's my advice.

• Simon

OK, I've just received this:

Untitled-1.png

I'm about to follow it through as it prompts, to see what happens.  Be back soon...  hopefully!  Smiley Wink

• Blackcat

Good luck; it did not work for me.

• Simon
    Just rebooting. There's so many different factors involved. It could work on some machines and not others. When I installed the Beta, I just ran the installer over the top of the 2013 trial version, and it uninstalled that automatically then installed the Beta, with no problems.
  • Blackcat

See how it runs for awhile, Simon. My upgrade seemed fine for a few minutes and then it started playing up.

But I hope yours goes okay. 

• Simon

I've got the Cleanup Tool (but rather afraid to use it!), but mine still says Beta 2014.  Does yours say anything different?

Untitled-1.png

• Blackcat

No, I have the same Window.

The Cleanup Tool is simply the online scanner and mine came up with a clean machine after a scan. But not sure I like the AUTOMATICALLY removes (malware) files default. .

• Simon
    Right, Banking Protection came up on Internet Explorer 8 (I'm on XP so can't go any higher), but when I came to log into my banking website, IE wouldn't display the page, and offered a button to 'diagnose connection issues'. Given that IE is a pile of cr*p anyway, I'm not surprised it didn't work, but I'll try another reboot, then if that doesn't cure it, I'll do a fresh install of FSIS. Not noticed any unusual sluggishness yet.
  • Simon

Blackcat wrote:

No, I have the same Window.

The Cleanup Tool is simply the online scanner and mine came up with a clean machine after a scan. But not sure I like the AUTOMATICALLY removes (malware) files default. .

Yes, that's what bothers me a bit.

• Blackcat

Initially, my Banking Protection would not work properly in IE/Chrome/FireFox or Opera!

• Simon

Seems to be working fine in my Firefox, although, I think the banner is too obtrusive, and it covers up the whole top menu bar, so you HAVE to minimise or end it if you want to use Bookmarks, etc.  BP also seems a little snappier in Firefox, particularly when going to a non-secure site with it still active.  Before, it would take a second or two for the 'End / Allow' prompt to appear - now, that is almost instant.

• Blackcat

Because Banking Protection did not seem to do very well in this test; http://www.matousec.com/info/reports/Online-Payments-Threats-2.pdf

I am using either SafePay; http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/safepay.html

or MyPOQ; https://www.quarri.com/products/mypoq/overview

for banking layered protection!

• Simon

I use SeaMonkey as my default browser, which unfortunately isn't supported by FS, for Banking Protection or search engine monitoring (where you get the green ticks on Google, etc), but as I've been using it for about 11 years, I'm not about to change!

However, Banking Protection, SafePay, and the likes, is a fairly new thing, and if I'm not mistaken, offers some ADDITIONAL protection over the usual HTTPS which is native in the browser anyway.  So, by not using it, I'm actually no less secure than before, and presumably, the usual web protection is present with FSIS, so I'm not really all that bothered about not using Banking Protection, and I do wonder how much of a gimick these additional features actually are, given that every security product now seems to have its own version of banking protection.

We forgot to change the name in the GUI banners Smiley Embarassed. We will change the name to say Internet Security Technology Preview in the next release.

Cleanup tool is not part of the initial Internet Security 2014 release. It may be in the next update release.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

This discussion has been closed.