White List?

I'm using F-Secure Internet Security 2013. In older versions I was able to transfer my Outlook address book to a "White List". I am unable to find out how to place my current address book into any white list. Does this still exist?

Comments

• macstorm
    macstorm Posts: 43 Explorer

Hi JamesD,

I'm not sure but, perhaps it's the "exclude files from the realtime scan..." option what you're looking for? 

ComputerSecurity => Settings => Virus and spyware scanning => Exclude files from the scan...

From there you can exclude Applications, Objects (file,folders) and File Types by its extension

• JamesD
    JamesD Posts: 4

Wow. That's a bit of a convoluted way of going about it and one that never would have occurred to me. Have you tried doing this? I'm a little reluctant to try it in case I miss important email messages without someone first confirming that this is the authorized way to ensure your address contacts are white-listed. Thanks for your suggestion, macstorm.

• macstorm
    macstorm Posts: 43 Explorer

Hi JamesD,

You are welcome.

No, I haven't tried it because I don't use Outlook, actually I never had to deal with it, except for the old OutlookExpress back in WinXP days. Mine is just a suggestion to try because you did mention the Outlook Address Book and I found out (if I'm not mistaken) that it bears the .wab extension. Personally I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it, but if you wish you can wait for someone else to confirm the harmlessness of this procedure Smiley Wink

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi JamesD!

I just wanted to check in and see if you have managed to add your Outlook contacts to the white list, or if you still need any advice from our product experts?  If you did get this working, please share your experience so others may benefit from your strategy :)

Thanks!

Chrissy T

F-Secure Community Manager

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but are there any updates on this?  I've found my Outlook.pst file, but I can't see how excluding this from scanning will actually 'white list' the individual contacts, especially if Outlook isn't the default mail client.  It was very easy before, just to import the white list, and I'd really like to see the return of this function, as this other method is convoluted, to say the least.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Simon,

With regards to your problem, May I know the reason why you would like to whitelist the contacts as our scanning engine will only scan outlook.pst file for infection.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    Hi Jagadesan,

The feature was always there before, and I assumed that it would stop any mail addresses in the whitelist as being marked as spam. If this is no longer deemed necessary, then perhaps an explanation of why the facility has been removed from the product, ie, what has replaced it, would be useful? It's just then when something disappears, it's good to know how that element of protection is now being covered.

Many thanks,

Simon.
This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info