Charter Security Suite and F-Secure DLL Hoster not responding at shutdown

Charter Security Suite uses F-Secure. After I updated Windows XP Home Edition from SP2 to SP3 Charter had me reinstall there Charter Security Suite. I get the following warning when I shutdown my PC. F-Secure DLL Hoster not responding. I have contacted Charter and they only had me unistall/reinstall Charter Security Suite. That hasn't changed anything. Is there a fix for this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi billb1970,

With regards to your problem, kindly contact the Charter Security agent to escalate the case and ask him to give you the SRID. Once he has given you the SRID, please pass it to us so that I can help you to speed up the process. SRID is normally stated in the subject of the email that we will send to the Charter Security agent.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• billb1970
    billb1970 Posts: 7 Observer

Thank you Jagadesan for you quick response.
    I contacted Charter again. They had me use their uninstall tool before they escalate the case. I am still having the problem with F-Secure DLL Hoster at Shutdown. Hopefully I will get the SRID today.

Bill

• [Deleted User]

Hi billb1970,

With regards to your problem, is there an update from Charter Security agent? If yes kindly provide us your SRID so that I can help you to speed up the process. SRID is normally stated in the subject of the email.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• billb1970

A Charter Agent has helped me one time so far. The agent has not given me a SRID. They wanted me to uninstall a few things and run some scans on F-Secure's site for Malware. In the process I had to add some updates. There was no malware found on my computer. As far as the Issue with DLL Hoster they have not addressed that yet. I do know before I updated to Windows XP SP3 3 weeks ago I didn't have this issue. I hope they submit what they have found to F-Secure or give me a SRID.

• [Deleted User]

Hi billb1970,

With regards to your problem, we will wait for your update on this issue.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• billb1970

I just received an e-mail from Charter Agent. They want me to run AVH_replacer.zip from their vendor F-Secure. I hope I don't have problems with this. I am creating a restore point before I run it.

Bill

• [Deleted User]

Hi Bill!

Please let us know if you tried out this fix, and whether it solved your issue or you need additional guidance.

Thanks!

// Chrissy T

F-Secure Community Manager

• billb1970

avh_replacer didn't fix my problem. I still get a yellow box DLL Hoster End Program. Windows steps through it with blue squares go to the right in the yellow box, then stops asks me if I want to end the program. It finally exits Windows enviroment and shutsdown. I have been thinking about going back to Windows XP SP2 or uninstalling Charter Security Suite and using something else.

• [Deleted User]

Hi billb1970,

With regards to your problem, I would realy like to help you in this issue but unfortunately due to our Service Agrement with Charter clearly states that we should not contact thier customers directly. Due to this reason I am unable to help you further. I would suggest you to speak to higher authority in Charter to get the SRID so that we can try to solve your issue.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• billb1970

I understand.

Thank you

• auser
    auser Posts: 2

Same problem applied here but only after installation of F-Secure 2013.

I think F-Secure should really take responsability of these kind of actions their service might cause.

No any excuses of their third party commitments.

JMT

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 77 Path Finder

Since I too have Charter, I looked into their F-Secure version. In my case, at that time in late 2012,  I bought a F-Secure license and compared the purchased version to Charters version, which theirs seemed to be behind in build? Not sure if it matters, as I'm sure all the AV defs. are the same, but I wanted the latest and greatest from the paid version (notice the DeepGuard versions), and also the ability of direct support from F-Secure. In the image below, I updated Charters version and did a image capture, then un-installed it, and installed the paid version, did an update and did an image capture.

Version compare.jpg

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer

Companies like Charter tend to use older versions, as they are usually less buggy and stuff.

But in this case, they seem to use 3 iterations older version, which is wrong IMO.

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 77 Path Finder

Yes, to far behind for me. Good observation and thought, Janiashvili, as to why they tend to use older versions, allot of the bugs worked out, less for them to deal with in customer issues.

• nhall
    nhall Posts: 2

I have installed F-Secure from Cogeco in Windsor Ontario and now have a problem with slower shut down time. Message is "Closing DLL Hoster". Please help.

• nhall
    nhall Posts: 2

Cogeco tech. support in Windsor Ontario have resolved my F-Secure problem with the DLL Hoster program at shutdown. I now have normal shutdown speed again with no mention of DLL Hoster. Hallelujah!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info