"Rootkit scan" option or not

I have a 3-user license for AV.  Two of the PCs are connected via a KVM so I can easily switch between them.  Both have the same F-Secure build numbers:

12.77  100

10.00  19010

4.10  126

8.30  43112

9.90  188

However, one has the option to perform a rootkit scan in the GUI (it has four scan options) while the other does not (it has three scan options).  The PC with the rootscan option was recently (yesterday and today) rebuilt, so maybe it caught the newest version, but if so, why aren't the build numbers slightly different?

Comments

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer
    well, I think one without rootkit scanner has some problems.... As all of them should have rootkit scanner.
  • baroque-quest
    baroque-quest Posts: 74 Enthusiast

I just checked my third system which has not been running for a week.  It has a build of 12.71-102 and a rootkit scanner option.

I think you are hinting that I need to uninstall AV on the system missing the rootkit scanning option and reinstall it.

• baroque-quest

After looking more closely, it appears that the rootkit scan option only appears for admin users.  That was unexpected.

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer

oh, that's a bug I believe

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello baroque-quest and Janiashvili,

Actually this is by design, not a bug. The rootkit scan is indeed only available for user with admin privileges.

• baroque-quest

Jouni, would you please explain the reasoning behind restricting rootkit scans to admin?  I have the admin password for all of my systems, so it is only a theoretical issue for me, but I can imagine a situation where a regular scan turned up malware in an important system file, requiring the use of a Microsoft recovery disc and/or chkdsk.  How is that different than what could happen with a rootkit scan?

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info