Last days problems retrieving e-mail with pop3

I'm using F-Secure anti-virus, for years actually.

About 2 days ago my mailprogram stopped retrieving mail with pop3. The same configuration has worked for years. The hoster didn't change things.

I did hours of research and in the end it is F-Secure anti-virus which blocks receivement. If I turn it off, the problem is gone.

I've experimented a bit with settings but to no avail.

The communication is well (logging in etc, counting messages to retrieve)  until the moment Postbox sends a retrieve command to get the first message. I use Postbox and Postbox is not in the deepguardlist so it is trusted I suppose.

I wonder, has somebody a solution besides switching virusscanners?

best regards, Marie-Anne

Comments

• i have exactly the same problem. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible!

• in addition: i am using the very same setup (and outlook .pst file) on a 64bit machine and a 32bit windows. Same version of windows, same version of outlook. The problem only occurs on the 64bit machine! I am using several pop3 mailboxes at two different providers. The problem occurs on all mailboxes, which rules out the chance of an issue at the provider. THIS IS AN F-SECURE PROBLEM!

• tigi
    tigi Posts: 6

Glad i'm not the only one. I'm having windows 7 on a 64-bit machine. Problem occurred with various mailreaders but only when pop3 is used. Gmail imap is ok.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi All,

With regards to your problem, I would suggest you to open a Support Ticket:
    http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/support/contact

Once you have open a SRID kindly update me so that I can help to solve your issue.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• tigi

I've created a support ticket

• [Deleted User]

Hi tigi,

Could you please provide me with the SRID, so that I can speed up the process.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• tigi

SRID?

• [Deleted User]

Hi tigi,

SRID is the case reference number which will be provided by email, when you open a support ticket. Kindly provide the case reference number (SRID) so that I can help you to speed up the troubleshooting process.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• I also created a ticked, the SRID number is  1-551659408

• tigi

Additional info: pop3 download works when I use tools -> turnoff, it doesn't work when I separately turn off deepguard and virus/spyware scanning via Status. PM'ed this too.

• Great! my other computer (windows7 x64) also got a forced update from F-Secure. The same problem is now also present on this computer. 

• Unfortunately I have to add here the same story. We support several customers,  since years with f-secure. Actually we have more than 10 machines on customers site, all the same problem: mail is not coming in, on some machines mail is even not sending, on all affected machines mail is not proper receiving (POP3), all with now F-Secure AV 2013 or IS 2013. I see this thread here... and no concret answer than "please open a support ticket"...

As we support in total more than hundred customers, we will look that for some more days, also trying to get support for them, then we will change the software, as others did, because it may not be that a AV-Software is blocking our customers from a working environment - and really, not one only, but many in the last days!

• if you start a chat session with F-secure support, you can get a patch. It is not officially released, but it seems to work. Strangely you get it by email, which you can't download through this problem. Are they really taking customers seriously at F-secure? It took me 8 hours to get the patch working on my computer....

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 13 Observer

The same thing started with me yesterday; Outlook could still slowly retrieve mail from one or two POP3 servers but not my main ones.

This morning I restored to a point earlier than the last update (which I already suspected) and everything worked OK.

I allowed F-Secure Anti-Virus to update and, once again, it was a large one.  But this time it didn't force a reboot and my F-Secure 'gadget', which had gone missing after the first reboot, has now returned.  I assume this means they've discovered the fault and fixed it.

The revised version bears 'Anti-Virus 12.56 Build 100', whereas my WinXP laptop, which I left alone as I don't use it for email, bears 'Anti-Virus 12.77 Build 100'.

• Biggles

Oooh dear!

As is routine, I left Anti-Virus to run a full scan while I went out.

When I came back, it had taken rather longer than usual, and claimed to have found something (DeepScan:Generic.Malware.FP!.5CD2AA32) and asked me whether I wanted it to fix it.

I was a bit doubtful, as it hadly ever finds anything, so I did a full backup first.

Then I said 'Yes', and it renamed my Outlook.pst file!

Luckily, the original was still there, plus I had taken a backup, but I obviously won't be able to trust F-Secure again unless it's fixed.

But how long might tnat be?

• Biggles

... and now I find that Outlook is no longer pinned to my Win7 taskbar.  Not sure when that happened, but very recently.

I don't know that that is connected to the F-Secure problems, but you know what I am thinking.

Complete lack of response from F-Secure isn't good, either.  Could be time to move along.

• tigi

I've moved along to a different virusscanner. What a relief, simply donwloading messages again.

• [Deleted User]

Hi All,

I'm sorry for the delays on our side. You'll get an update on this problem as soon as possible.

Sorry again!

• kabera
    kabera Posts: 7

Hi Ania

this would be really helpful. We have the same problem nearly every day since my last post, with different customers computers and the actual FSAV.

The affected customers are all working on windows 7 64-bit machines, (6 new machines this week), it is always 64-Bit, but there are different versions of MS Office affected, V2003, V2007 and V2010 also.

And it remains always the same: mails are not coming in, with or without Mail-options active in FSAV, with or without Deepguard, they "hang" with time-out. Uninstallation of F-Secure - mails are immediately coming in. Reinstalling of FSAV, not changing nothing on options or whatever - mails are still coming in, no problems.... very strange. 

Til today we therefore always do the same after affection: use the uninstall tool from F-Secure, restart the machine, install FSAV from the installer - it works again. Mostly successful, in some cases the problem reoccurs after 3-4 days. And our customers are not happy, because this is not an "in house" problem - our company doesn't have the problem, we do not work with FSAV, but with FS-Client Security 9.32 and 10.x - and we don't have seen the problem until now on any of our own machines.

• Biggles

My hopes were raised when I received an email an hour or so ago, asking me to 'run the attached file'.

Unfortunately, there was no attached file.

It's getting worse rather than better.....

• [Deleted User]

Hi Biggles,

With regards to your problem, I sincerly apologise on this issue. Could you kindly PM me your SRID, so that I can have a look at it. As for other members who are having similar issue, we have already deployed the fix kindly check on your updates. If issue still persist kindly email us. So that we can send you the fix personally.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• Biggles

Hi, Jagadesan.

I've just been sent a new email, complete with attachment and apologies!  I'll run this and see what happens.

• [Deleted User]

Hi Biggles, great to hear that your problem is resolved!  Please stop by the Community again if you have further issues, or if you just want to stay informed on current topics of interest!

Chrissy T

F-Secure Community Manager

• chas
    chas Posts: 3

I have win 7 64 bit and recently been having problems w/email retrieval. That was my first symptom. That's what brought me here as my symptoms were similar with the previous posters. I didn't suspect f-secure AV until I got around to do a scan with it. It wouldn't execute at all to my chagrin making me think something had taken over my pc. Another symptom was that both firefox and comodo internet security were reporting that when I tried to access my domain server (https:aplus.net) that it was a "security risk."  So (and as you may know, trying to get to a solution requires many steps so bare with me) I uninstalled F-S and downloaded it from this site.

Installation saw "comodo dragon" as a conflict so I removed it as well. Long story short, after doing all this, everything worked. I have no idea if it was F-s's, malware, or a comodo fault. All I know at this point is that I can now access my domain normally.

I posted this just in case someone else were having a similar  problem--again, I have no idea who the culprit was...

• [Deleted User]

Hi chas, thanks for sharing!  It's of course hard to speculate what caused the issue in the first place, but conflicting AV products can often cause unexpected issues.  Great that your problem was solved, though!

// Chrissy

F-Secure Community Manager

• chas

Ok, the same problem reoccurred and I think I found the culprit. I usually use firefox, but switched to IE to see if it was a browser problem. IE reported the same thing "bad certificate...", but with a difference. I use Comodo's DNS server to access the internet and I got a message something like "...many users report having seen malware on this site.." which meant it wasn't going to let me pass. Aplus.net is where my mail servers reside and have for years w/o problem so the message is nonsense. I emailed their support about the issue , but haven't heard back yet. So the solution was to tell win 7 to find its own dns server (which will be comcast) and removed the specific link to comodo's server. The problem with F-secure AV was just a coincidence, but I still don't know why it suddenly stopped working altogether as I normally don't pay much attention to it...

• chas

This is my last comment on this just in case anyone would like the final answer to this. It turns out that 2 of the 30 dns spam/malware reporting agencies recently blacklisted aplus.net. As a result, comodo without warning, blocked all traffic to that domain (the domain where I have 3 private domains parked.) 

I guess someone with better skills than myself would have found the problem a lot quicker by not taking so many dead end troubleshooting steps....Smiley Embarassed

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info