The documentation on Anti-Theft for Mobile is not just scanty but plain erroneous. I read everything I could find (which is not much) before deciding that I have to install the app in order to find out how it works. After installation, I realized that even the little the manual says is wrong.
So now I am asking (from other users, I guess) about the features that I haven't been able to try out myself yet.
My phone has Symbian Belle Refresh, and the phone itself already has the basic security features, such as encryption, locking when SIM is changed, and remote locking by text message. What Anti-Theft essentially adds to these is the possibility to receive an SMS when SIM is changed, and to locate the phone by sending an SMS. Oh, and the possibility to send an SMS to make the phone sound off an alarm (this is not mentioned in the docs at all; you have to install the app to find out about it).
What I want to know is this: if I have set the phone to lock itself when SIM is changed (from phone settings, not the Anti-Theft settings), will the Anti-Theft features still work?
I also want to know what exactly does "all information" mean in "deletes all the information stored in the device memory"? In particular, will it also wipe out my Anti-Theft settings, so that after the wipe-out, I cannot use any of the remote operations anymore? If not, then what information is and is not wiped out?
Besides, the manual and the instructions that come with the app are not clear about which of the remote operations require the trusted number, and which work from any numer. In particular, which number does the locate operation send the information to?
The worst problems with the user manual are:
- the docs use multiple terms ("security code", "lock code", "wipe code") for the one single security code that the app uses
- the Finnish versions of the same manuals use even more terms for the single code ("turvakoodi", "lukituskoodi", "suojakoodi", "poistokoodi"), when "suojakoodi" alone would suffice
- the Finnish version also manages to talk about "laitteen suojakoodi" (the device's security code), when it really refers to the Anti-Theft app's security code, not the device's; this is extremely confusing
- all of the docs (at least, the Symbian versions) tell me to enable the different remote operations one by one, but the app only has one single setting for enabling or disabling them all at once
- none of the links on page http://www.f-secure.com/fi/web/home_fi/support/get-support-online/-/carousel/view/98/for%20Symbian point to an actual KB article, and even the pre-defined search for "Anti-Theft for Symbian" returns nothing at all