F secure 2013 feedback n°x1562 ;)

Hello F-Secure team and members.

Since i bought this product, i'm very proud to recommend it to my friends and customers. Simplicity, Effectiveness, really complete.

Well i've never got big troubles with you, so i decided to continue paying the soft.

Today i have to ask you why did you remove your excellent firewall system ?

In fact, i don't trust Windows which can send personnal informations without our permission, and your firewall completely satisfied me because we could set every rules, and keep an eye for every programs that wanted to connect to the web.

The other point is, the windows firewall don't block the program to connect immediatly, what yours used to do.

When the windows FW prompt an alert ( i mean " display " i'm french and i don't master english language so perfectly ), the program actually connects to the net, windows just want your agreement to let the connection be.

I really have a preference for your firewall system, in my opinion, the best firewall is the one that blocks immediatly the incoming or outcoming connection and asks you to permit or not and in wich direction.

( too many programs attempts to connect from your computer, your ancient firewall was awesome and i believe that was why i was Fsecured :) )

Are my thoughts founded ? or can you tell me more ? How can i get aware of all programs that want to connect in or out of my computer ( even the " trusted " one, because that 's not because messenger wants to connect while i'm not using it, that i trust it ! )

Thanks again anyway.

Laurent.

Comments

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer
    here is article about this in support.
  • cannot find. would you lend me a link please ? :3

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Laurent,

Please find the article explaining what happened to the firewall functionality:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Protection-Safe/What-has-happened-to-the/ta-p/15392

Hope that helps you understand the new implementation of the firewall in IS2013.

• ktx
    ktx Posts: 12

Hi

This sucks not haveing a firewall now in F-Secure.

I have been useing it for 3 years now and love it to. but when I installed the new version and found it had no firewall in F-Secure I am never going to use this again.

and beside that it does not slow you all the programes that are blocked in the application permissions, it doesn't give you the option to block them to will not all of them, I want to be able to pick which ones I want block in F-Secure.and another thing is the email set up where has that gone ??

I think the whole thing needs to be redone sorry to say. Thats why I am never going to use it again.

• In Fact, i believe that F-Secure team wants to make their product easier to use, but maybe it is too simple now.

F secure meant proper security that bypass windows'one,  and maybe we can imagine that due to the lack of results, Maybe FSecure has got a Deal with microsoft after all, who knows.

I think that if i were aware of this new system, honnestly, i wouldn't buy another license. I greatly enjoyed the soft you did in the past 5 years, it was really enhanced on CPU resources gestion, really i didn't have any problems because of viruses.

We can only make suggestions, mine is that you would let f-secure 2012 system. Making rules on Firewall was really simplist with a little training. I really had bad impressions, impressions that i lost something precious in fsecure 2013.

Most of sites was telling that your soft was really optimal, you must believe in your experience and ours.

F secure was the greatest, dudes. don't let windows destroy your hard work

• ktx

will said Laurent I couldn't have said it better I have only had my new key for 6 months now and I have stop using F-Secure now  as I can not use the old version (2012 version) any more..

• [Deleted User]

Hi,

From what I understand, the idea is to reduce the amount of potentially confusing information shown to the user. At the end of the day, the majority of users won't ever create firewall rules, much less use application control - and the world is moving towards massively simplified apps.

The outbound firewall is most definitely still there and has been expanded. The only part that's been "diverted" towards the Windows Firewall is the inbound side, and the majority of that is simply blocking. The integration with - for example - Homegroup is also much easier this way.

You'll find that the application control has also changed to incorporate cloud decisions.

Smart decisions about potentially rogue apps are therefore easier to make and much faster, without harrassing the user. I don't see what's not to like about it?

- Bret

• Janiashvili
    That is, that people want to block certain programs on their own, without any real reason... that's why
  • ktx

True there Janiashvili but thats ok now I am not using F-Secure any more now so they have lost my Subscription now.

I am using a different Virus Checker now to which is around the same as the old version or maybe better :)

• I'm trying the last version atm, when you want to block a program here is what all should do.

1) check on the pop up window, where's the program located. If it's somewhere you're not aware since you installed your computer, fine let's...

2) check on internet to see what the program "can" be, and can do. if average sites says it's not dangerous, fine you can trust it even if you're not 100% sure, else...

3) block that program which is not vital to your computer to work properly.

We all knows that some programs can send personnal information, with or without our agreements, that's obvious.

I'm getting suspicious when installing programs because, someday i could see that another soft was installed without warning me. and it wasn't related to the use of the first i wanted.

I've seen too many friend's computers going down because of these program installations ( and mainly because they don't know about this ).

I really understand what you mean bret, i really do but i could see that " outbound side " is not secured : programs can communicate to the net even if a pop up asks if you want to allow it.

Janiashvili, threats are not always coming from outside. One day you could really be surprised to install a common soft, like notepad++ or winrar, and get hacked from inside because the soft exploited a breach in your os. i saw many sites down because of hackers attacks, they can easily replace download links with malicious things undetectable by antivirus.

as well as you would see paranoïa in my thoughts, as well i know it's possible to do that.

All that is created by humans is destructible by humans.

• Jusu
    Jusu Posts: 10 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello,

As a fellow computer enthusiast I feel your pain, I too enjoy having full control over the actions of my computer, no matter if the actions are harmful or not. However it is also my job (among other people) to make sure that our product does what it promises to all people, not just computer enthusiasts. Even though for a person who understands computers a firewall rule is a simple thing to do and a question about a software going on the internet or not is a simple choice, for the vast majority of our userbase these questions are very difficult to answer and a firewall rule to allow for example Microsoft HomeGroup sharing is beoynd their capabilities.

This easily leads to a situation where all questions are answered either by allow or deny. In one choice security is compromized and in the other legitimate software cannot be used as it should be, since it cannot access the internet.

To solve these issues we've done the following:

1. Port filtering is left to Microsoft Firewall. Port filtering is the most basic of firewall functionality and Microsoft's firewall is actually very good at it and it has excellent compatibility with home network configurations.

2. Outbound and application filtering is managed by our DeepGuard technology, allowing connections from trusted, safe software automatically and only asking for software that is not well known. Automatic blocking is used when something acts very suspiciously or we know that the traffic is malicious.

3. We also beefed up the incoming data scanning, now we scan incoming http data for exploits and malware, stopping them even before they have a change to exploit the browser.

All in all the protection level against malware this gives is excellent. There is no need to worry about security and the product has very little noise to the end user.

The lost advanced control is something that we had to accept as a downside at this point. As a company delivering the security to people with very different skills in computing we feel that we need to serve the people who cannot protect themselves the most. That said, we are looking into possibilities of bringing back more advanced ways of controlling the networking of applications and other advanced settings that the more advaced users miss. Port filtering though is something that we are not planning to implement ourselves, we'd rather bring security features that are more advanced and do not replicate the OS functionality in fields where it is implemented well.

Thank you for your feedback here on the community. It's always good to hear what people think about our products and what are the real problems people face in real world. This is an excellent time to join our Technology preview program at beta.f-secure.com and let your voice to be heard, there you also get a glimpse at the new features while we still are developing them and having a possibility to affect the new official version of our products. It's good to remember that it is a beta program, so using the Techology preview builds on a production system is not necessarily a good idea.

• [Deleted User]

Thanks Jusu and also Bret for the contribution from F-Secure on this issue.

Take a note what Jusu said about our Technology preview program at beta.f-secure.com if you are interested to give you feedback there as well.

Cheers

ElseH

F-Secure's Community Manager

• ktx

Thanks also for all the info on this one to. but it doesn't matter now,  as I am not using F-Secure's any more (had it for 3 years now)

I love it up to now also, but with the new version that came out it has gone down hill big time, so I am never going to use it again. and tell all my friend about it to, some of them are using it also thanks to me..

I have found another Virus Cheker now that will do all the things I want a virus checker to do .

• First, many thanks to your answers. i really appreciate it because it proves your implication as a company.

I totally understand the team's choice. F secure were always keeping an eye on the accessible part of the soft, and yet was really complete.

if you want my feelings, well... i believe that many people are always asking help, while they could look a little by themselves.

finally, i find it more interesting to understand what i am working with.

Sometimes i make jokes, thinking of an antivirus/firewall program with one Big button " PROTECT ME" which silently stop viruses or inbound threats. Smiley Tongue

Anyway, it's time to evolve this way, i suppose.

May i ask you why did you work with the win7 firewall so late, if it was performant ? Has it really evolved in 3 years ? Or were you studying carefully its mechanisms ?

Now a question about the system control on windows 7, i don't know if it's called like that in english but, you know when you change a windows setting, or that a program may change something by itself, your are warned by a popup and your screen turn dark. ok you see ?

many times it warns you for nothing, so i tried to deactivate it and proceed carefully. i trust f secure too.

Do you think someone could exploit the port 80, which is often listening, to change some admin settings, and maybe get to disable any protection ?

I want to point one thing, i didn't came here with anger or " pay back" rage, and honestly i didn't expect a real explanation on your new system. i really want to try it before having a real opinion.

Oh, and why not give the user to decide if he wants to use in "simple mode" or " advanced user" ?

if you're really " looking into possibilities of bringing back more advanced ways of controlling the networking of applications and other advanced settings that the more advanced users miss " there are 2 ways to do it, you could let us the choice to use f secure 2012 by example or make an "advancer user mode".

i've got 3 computers at home, i used to make some rules for programs concerned between them, due to the new network system on win7, to play on lan by example, and this, considering that only one computer was exposed to the internet.

To allow only file sharing service was really simple with fsecure, i know you can do it on win7 firewall too, but it didn't prevent programs for accessing internet immediatly, that's why i choosed f secure.

As for the beta testing, it should be really interesting, as i'm the kind of people to exploit every functions of a program, nevertheless i'm only an "amateur" let's say it frankly. all my knowledge is based on experience when repairing my computer or my friend and family 's, and those i looked for on the web. Will it be enough to interests you ?

Thanks again :)

• Tomi
    Tomi Posts: 42 Contributor

@FormerMember wrote:

As for the beta testing, it should be really interesting, as i'm the kind of people to exploit every functions of a program, nevertheless i'm only an "amateur" let's say it frankly. all my knowledge is based on experience when repairing my computer or my friend and family 's, and those i looked for on the web. Will it be enough to interests you ?

That would be plenty enough of interest to us! As Jusu mentioned before, we are always eager to hear the real problems in the real world and based on your description we would be more than happy to have you on board!

You can register to our beta programs at https://beta.f-secure.com!

• RMc-Canada
    RMc-Canada Posts: 33 Observer

Its seems F-Secure has gone the Trend Micro route when it comes to the Firewall?. and as with when TM first made the switch I see the very same disgruntled F-S users all screaming the sky is falling?. without giving it a chance.

Yes if your a ‘power user’?, who wants complete control then I can understand?, but for I dare say the majority of users like myself?, I don't mind at all.

For me?, as long as the ‘Overall Package’ does its upmost to protect my PC ‘Within Reason’?, I’m happy. the problem with most firewalls is they tend to get in the way more then anything. I don't want my AV/FW to be Seen or Heard, Period.

Now if you are not concerned with complete control? & only with how well the ‘extra protection’ added to the Windows firewall?, as I am. then look no further then PC Mag’s Neil J. Rubenking reviews of Trend Micros ‘firewall booster’, the best quality AV/FW Reviews I know of on the web?. Neil is tough in his AV/FW software test’s & tells it how it is. in his resent review of Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus+ 2013?, his closing comment on its firewall booster was “It's tough!”. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409581,00.asp

Also in his review of Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 he gives a little more of a detailed view & his closing comments kind of sum it up well. “Trend Micro's approach of relying on Windows Firewall is a bold one. For most users, the lack of confusing popups and network activity charts will be refreshing.” http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391437,00.asp

Now I'm only assuming this is the same sort of thing F-S has done?. Neil has already reviewed F-Secure Anti-Virus 2013 & in an E-mail he told me his review of ‘internet security’ should be up soon. I contacted him on this very issue & am eagerly awaiting his review of IS to see how the new FW component works.

I kind of like the idea of using what's already their. Smiley Wink

• ktx

I must be a ‘power user’ and I want  complete control over every thing (email also). anyway I have found a better Virus Checker  now than "F-Secure" which is faster,user less ram and checks more thing to. it even boot up faster :)

Edit:

and as for Trend Micro I have had a look at that one a while back now and the was a lode of old crap :) at the time.

• SteveH
    SteveH Posts: 3

Just got a full refund on my sub. While I understand the desire to simplify software for users, an enforced upgrade is a horrid solution. Like many users, I don't trust the Windows Firewall having been burnt by it many times before. Yes DeepGuard is overseeing and adding additional features, but that doesn't cut it sorry. I want my advanced rules etc.

A two tier system whereby you can continue using 2012 or opt to upgrade to 2013 would of been great, but getting the rug pulled out from under me with an enforced upgrade when re-installing is very disappointing behaviour for a software company.

I've been using F-Secure for over 4 years now, first through the version supplied by my ISP, and then when they switched to McAffee I have been paying for it since, but I won't be a customer again until I see something similar to 2012.

To end on a positive note, a big thanks to Ivan on chat support for processing my refund with minimal fuss; very impressed with that.

• ktx

Hi.

you can not use 2012 version now I tryed that again and it didn't like my key **bleep** so they have lost me for good now as I have found a new Virus Checker which is a lot better than F-Secure and does every thing I want it to do.

and I am another one that does not like the windows firewall.. all my friends have stop using it now to..

• RMc-Canada

@SteveH- Sad to see you go as I'm sure the Good People at F-Secure are also. Smiley Sad

I Hope your not going to McAfee?, that would be a Huge Mistake IMO. I just seen this on PCMag. -

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/303867-kaspersky-and-norton-earn-aaa-protection-rating

Both McAfee & Microsoft Security Essentials were So Bad they didn't even get an F- !?! LOL!. That's pretty Bad.

I could understand from a Free AV?, But from one of the Biggest Paid AV in the would!?!. Pathetic.

Also Keep In Mind that Kaspersky are Based in Russia?. Russia are Ranked 143rd on

-Corruption Perceptions Index- ?!, they make the Chinese look like Boyscouts!?! LOL!.

F-Secure/Finland are #2  Smiley Happy

Don't know about you?, but I take Everything into Account when it comes to My Security. Smiley Wink

And I'm Very Happy with FS-IS 2013!  Smiley Very Happy
  • SteveH
    SteveH Posts: 3

God no RMc, definitely not McAffee, or Norton, or Kaspersky... the list goes on. I'm at a complete loss at the moment as to which suite to use Smiley Sad 

I just want my FS-IS 2012 functionality back, or something similar. Ah well, c'est la vie! I'm sure I'll find something (hopefully!)

On a side note, the number of search results google hits for people searching for a 2012 offline installer for this very reason is quite interesting Smiley Surprised

• ktx

Hi.

I am using "Avira Internet Security 2013" now and its faster and user less ram as will and it got a lot better Firewall and exra bits that F-Secure didn't have to.

and its only $103us for 3 years also..

and I will never come back to this sh*t Virus Checker ever again.

sorry about saying sh*t bit that what it is now..

• RMc-Canada

@ktx -

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2013 - PCMag score of 3.5 out of 5... (*Bare Bones) Smiley Wink

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409673,00.asp

Avira Antivirus Premium 2013 - PCMag score of 3.5 out of 5... (*Full Suite) Smiley Embarassed

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411315,00.asp

F-Secure Internet Security should get a Perfect 5 out of 5!?! when its review is released!?!. Smiley Surprised

• [Deleted User]

Hello!

We are glad to hear your opinions but please, remember to keep the polite tone of voice as our Community Guidelines requires.

Cheers!
    ElseH
    F-Secure Community Manager

• ktx

Hi

I use to love F-Secure but not anymore, from v2013 it has gone down hill big time. the ppl at F-Secure should wake up so they can see what they can done. they must be a lot of ppl not using F-Secure not.

• ktx

@ElseH

ok and sorry but thats how I feel now about F-Secure.

its gone from a 10 out of 10 to a 3 out of 10 Smiley Sad and as I said I will never come back to F-Secure ever again.

• Janiashvili
    In some scenarios, company loose one client to get many more, but I guess this isn't that situation, this step would be really good if microsoft's firewall wasn't so 'un-famous'
  • ktx

Hi.

its not all about company loose clients, its all about companys getting a bad name and no one wants that,  people talk about them also. I do, if people ask me about Virus Checker I tell them about different ones, not this Virus Checker anymore.

so it can't be helping F-Secure mush sorry to say.

but they have been a big help in the pass but not any more..

• ebolka
    ebolka Posts: 1

For me there is something wrong. I pay for a package of anti-virus and firewall, but I get only the antivirus. F-Secure says it's a good idea to use a firewall system ..... maybe. I'm not a pro-user, and I'm not simple-user, i am midle-user and I want to have control over the firewall from the program that I buy (F-Secure  2011, 2012). I have to say ... I'm lazy and do not want  set the rules in the windows firewall , so I had to install extra software (windows firewall control). For me it is no problem use  windows firewall but I want to have easy access to the rules of  firewall.

wojtek

• ktx

Hi.

You can set the rules in windows firewall but its the long way round to do so. I like it when it was in 2012 but its not in 2013 now so That why I am using a different Virus Checker now and its a better one also.

This discussion has been closed.