I recently bought a new Android device and want to transfer my password vault contents

WhiskyMac
WhiskyMac Posts: 7 Observer
edited December 2023 in F-Secure Total

My passwords are stored in ID Protection.

The option to sync from old device to new device is grayed out - do I need to purchase an additional license just to move my passwords across? Even though I intend to retire the old device? How easy is it to just add ID Protection for an extra device, or do I need to buy the whole suite?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @WhiskyMac

Thank you for your post.

And thanks @Ukko for the comment.

Currently, your subscription is valid for one device only, and it seems that you have already used the license on your current Android device. However, don't worry! We're here to assist you in transferring your Password Vault to another device.

I've sent you a private message, so kindly check your messages and reply to continue the process. We're eager to help you out!

Thank you for your understanding, and I wish you a wonderful day!

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user.

It is good to know more information.

For example,

• topic is under F-Secure Total board, but your F-Secure ID Protection is not 'related' to any other package or subscription? It is only F-Secure ID Protection subscription?
    • is it somehow mobile-based subscription, or is it free installation (so, one device)?

The option to sync from old device to new device is grayed out - do I need to purchase an additional license just to move my passwords across? 

I think that syncing is a premium feature. And, so, if you want to sync between devices - it should be either subscription (premium) or subscription for two devices.

Online help about syncing: Syncing your Vault data with other devices | ID Protection | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Even though I intend to retire the old device? How easy is it to just add ID Protection for an extra device, or do I need to buy the whole suite?

Perhaps, this case is not really covered by current F-Secure ID Protection design.

I mean, you can export passwords with Windows (and maybe Mac) desktop installations. Where it can be easy for 'one device' situation - export from old and import to new.

Still, I think there can be some workarounds for one Android device too. But good if you will add some more information about your background / subscription type or current 'status' of F-Secure ID Protection (if it is a 'free' one device instance, for example).

And, maybe, official F-Secure team will suggest something better even now.

Thanks!

• Firmy

Hello @WhiskyMac

We kindly request you to refer to the message we sent earlier and reply back. We are here to help and are eager to address your concerns.

We appreciate your cooperation, and we look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you once again, and have a great day!

• WhiskyMac

Replying as requested

• Firmy

Hello @WhiskyMac

We still did not receive your reply from the message we have sent earlier.

I have sent again the message again. Please feel free to reply to our message, and we'll be more than happy to assist you. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to let us know.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we hope you have a great day.

• WhiskyMac

I can see I replied on the 8th

• Firmy

Hello @WhiskyMac

I wanted to let you know that I have received your message. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Please be assured that we are here to assist you and guide you through the next steps. Whenever you're ready, feel free to reply back, and we'll be more than happy to help you further.

Thank you for your cooperation, and I hope you have a fantastic day ahead.

• Firmy

Hello @WhiskyMac

We have arranged a temporary license for you to facilitate the transfer of the Password Vault from your old device to your new one.

To begin, please install F-Secure Total on your new device and proceed to sync the passwords. Once this is complete, you can uninstall the app from your old device and remove the license from your My F-Secure account.

To guide you through the process, I've provided the following links:

1. Installing F-Secure Total on your new device: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-android/latest/en/task_70799F24F9F94B0981EEC22B99A67021-latest-en
    2. Syncing passwords with F-Secure Total: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-android/latest/en/task_74BB1FA8639143ADA6A132BE698BD93D-latest-en
    3. Uninstalling the app: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-android/latest/en/task_C1CE8ACC41544B198783D3F981DB1C27-latest-en
    4. Release a license from My F-Secure: https://community.f-secure.com/common-home-en/kb/articles/5426-how-do-i-release-a-license-from-my-f-secure

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank you, and have a great day.

• Firmy

Hello @WhiskyMac

I have an important update regarding your license. It will be reverted back to the original license for 1 device. Therefore, please ensure that you have released the license from the old device in your My F-Secure account.

I have sent you a private message. If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you and have a great day.

This discussion has been closed.