Security risk

Marissa
Marissa Posts: 3 Observer

Hi everyone, I just registered here.

I am looking for a tool that will allow me to connect to a remote computer. I think Team Viewer is quite reliable and easy to use. But I am interested in the security issue. Is it safe to use Team Viewer? What should I do to reduce the risks? Do I need to install any other applications?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am not really helpful about this subject, but as the matter of discussion and some points to think.

I am looking for a tool that will allow me to connect to a remote computer.

Is it the only need? I mean, what you then trying to do? GUI (graphical user interface) is important or you can manage your case by console (or so things)?

Also, from which device or devices to which device. Operating system, type of device. From Windows to Windows (as example)? Or more complex things; like from Android to Windows?

I think Team Viewer is quite reliable and easy to use.

Well-known, a lot of users. So, it should more reliable and easy to use than others. If the price is okay - probably, it is the easiest option. If free version is suitable for your task - maybe there are some specific tools in the market, which can be good enough too.

As such, I think Team Viewer was with enough controversies to check other alternatives. But I cannot recommend any with a really huge number of benefits. Because TeamViewer is probably considered as a secure one.

Is it safe to use Team Viewer? What should I do to reduce the risks? 

Perhaps, need to think about your task. And then based on the result - to think further. I mean, is there any other more simple solutions or tool? Or does some TeamViewer limitations are important / critical for the task?

Do I need to install any other applications?

Do you mean other remote access tool (or related software)?

Or another software / security application in addition?

Thanks!

• Marissa

I plan to establish a Windows-to-Windows connection. It may be necessary to connect from an Android smartphone to Windows, as far as I understand it is possible, so it suits me. 

The purpose of the remote connection is to work with documents on the remote computer and use some applications. 

I mean do I need any other software/security applications in addition? 

Thank you for your reply!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I see.

Most likely, any of the best remote desktop software can be a fine choice. I think that Team Viewer is one of the suitable ones. All that remains (then) is to make sure that it is up-to-date and configure it correctly (so, just at least familiarize yourself with the settings and try to make everything obvious and understandable). Because they may provide more functionality than you need. However, it's quite a good idea to use the security options to the full level (all such features may be visible when using a specific application; so I can't say which ones; they may differ). General things are included (strong credentials and so on).

Probably, for your need - Team Viewer is a good enough choice. Because all is already 'ready'. And I do not think that's something else you need to install or use additionally.

But, still, security solution is always recommended to have in the system. As well as the active firewall and other basic things. This will give general security against malware and other threats. Not directly related to the remote access tools used.

One note: security solution may introduce some problems in use. Therefore, it may be necessary to disable some option or make exceptions. For example, the F-Secure app within Banking Protection provides the following functionality: Remote Access Blocker | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

As a much more 'simple' solution or alternative to Team Viewer - Chrome Remote Desktop should also meet your requirements, for example.

I think that the security risk in choosing one or another solution makes little difference. Any software can be vulnerable at some point. So you just need to be careful. Also, don't overuse. Using the known and popular is a certain responsibility of the developers and their ongoing activities to improve the quality. Community of users and a lot of knowledgebase articles or support topics. At the same time, there is more attention from scammers who may be trying to find ways to exploit. But following the general principles of safety - everything should be fine. For example, a Team Viewer account can be further secured with two-factor authorization.

Thanks!

• Lukegars
    Lukegars Posts: 6 Explorer

Hi! If you don't mind, I'd like to add to the above. I've been using TeamViewer for a long time, so I've also studied how secure it is. I can say that it is quite secure. TeamViewer uses modern technologies to protect data transmission, you can read more about it here https://www.helpwire.app/blog/teamviewer-security-risk/

But of course, there are always risks when it comes to cyberspace, I'm not a professional in this area, but I think everyone will agree with this. So installing an antivirus will help.

And something depends on you, as a user, I have some tips on how to use the application and reduce the risks:

- Be sure to update the app as soon as updates are available;

- Shut down TeamViewer after use, don't run TeamViewer sessions in the background and switch to it when needed;

- Use a strong password.

I hope I was able to help.

• Marissa

You have helped me a lot, thank you!

• libitz
    libitz Posts: 6 Explorer

If you elect to use TeamViewer. I would suggest stopping by the TeamViewer community forum and searching for "Best practices for secure unattended access".

• Banny_J
    Banny_J Posts: 2 Observer

If you're looking for a tool to remotely connect to a computer, Team Viewer is a popular and user-friendly option. As with any software that involves remote access, security is an important consideration. While Team Viewer has had some security vulnerabilities in the past, the company has taken steps to address these issues and improve their security protocols.

To reduce risks when using Team Viewer, it's important to keep the software updated and use strong passwords. You may also want to consider using two-factor authentication for an extra layer of security. It's generally not necessary to install additional applications, but you may want to review your computer's firewall settings to ensure that remote access is only allowed when necessary.

I hope this helps!

• Banny_J
    Banny_J Posts: 2 Observer

Defintly Consider this option! You'll like solving this problem!

• emili57
    emili57 Posts: 2 New Member

cool post!