Optimize scan on smartphone (& PC)

Options
MaHeHRO
MaHeHRO Posts: 20 Enthusiast

The FS protection app starts a full scan every time it is recharged. It would be nice if this happens only 1x a day or there is an option how often a scan takes place.

For example, the options "daily & weekly" would be quite good, and perhaps with the addition that it then also only takes place when the smartphone is charged.

It would also be nice if the scan duration could be reduced by only scanning new or changed files in later scans. Other antivirus software have been doing this for years, both on the PC and on the smartphone.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

I am also only an F-Secure user.

The FS protection app starts a full scan every time it is recharged.

It is a feature, I think.

When device is ready to charging - automatic scan;

When device is booted up - automatic scan;

Reasoning (as I can to suspect) - scanning when it should not affect battery level; scanning when device was off and back to functioning.

Perhaps, their expectation that there are no more than two charge-events per day (for user). So, should not annoy anyone. Also, (maybe) limited to 'network connection' - if to disable Wi-Fi or mobile data usage - then scan is skipped.

Other types of auto-scan are, probably, after installing applications or updating them (check them).

It would also be nice if the scan duration could be reduced by only scanning new or changed files in later scans. Other antivirus software have been doing this for years, both on the PC and on the smartphone.

I think F-Secure app doing this too.

At least, based on my observation. The limitation or 'exception' - receiving fresh updates or important information from F-Secure Security Cloud is a reason to re-scan some items (even if 'unchanged' ones).

Does your experience about another understating?

Thanks!

• MaHeHRO
    MaHeHRO Posts: 20 Enthusiast
    Options

Hello @Ukko

In itself, I can understand that just when loading is scanned, but then please really maximum 1x a day. Otherwise it is really annoying. Especially if you are affected by wobbly contacts and F-Secure starts again after a while. It should not be that difficult to handle this differently.

If you compare Kaspersky and ESET with F-Secure, both on mobile and on PC, this is not the case, unfortunately.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Thanks for your response!

1x a day. Otherwise it is really annoying. Especially if you are affected by wobbly contacts and F-Secure starts again after a while. It should not be that difficult to handle this differently.

Actually, I am not sure how it works. For example, I tried to charge two devices now - and no autoscanning there. As such, I do charge devices, mostly, when they are with no network connection (so, I do not expect any scanning at all). But I read description and occasionally saw that device scanned when I plug it to charge.

Maybe situation is already a bit more complicated? Does your experience is really about each charge attempt - scan process?

Turning on (after a restart) - autoscanning is initiated. And further restart - autoscanning again. So, there.. indeed each starting device - scanning at boot up.

What about scan optimization. Perhaps, other companies do this better (who knows; your mentioned companies are really good and high-quality). But I still see with F-Secure app - mentioned points like reduced number of items/files (skipping unchanged and related design), reduced time to complete scanning. With other general improvements and styles, which are really common in industry.

Thanks!