Installed F-Secure last week and today I switched it off due to high CPU load.

Frankhe
Frankhe Posts: 17 Enthusiast
edited October 2023 in F-Secure Internet Security

Subscription: F-Secure Internet Security

Running on an Apple M1 laptop.

I have no idea why F-Secure is using so much of my CPU? It became somewhat ridiculous.

I unregistered my device and the high CPU-load issue stopped. Is this an issue other people can reproduce? I would like to know if this is mee or if other people see the same behaviour?

Accepted Answer

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 235 F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi, @Frankhe

That CPU usage is definitely not expected. Could you please try collecting the "sample" output the next time you notice this happening?

Sample output can be collected using Activity Monitor. You need to select the process and click "More" button (three dots icon) and select "Sample Process" in the dropdown menu. It will generate a report in text format.

That could reveal the root cause for this behaviour and help us isolate the issue.

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,626 Community Manager

Hello @Frankhe

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

I regret to hear that you're experiencing a high CPU load after installing F-Secure on your Mac. Could you please share with me what version of the operating system you are running, and what specifically contributes to the issue?

After uninstalling and reinstalling, do the issue comes back?

As for troubleshooting steps, here are a few suggestions that might help:

1. First, check if there are any updates available for F-Secure. Sometimes, updating the software can fix issues like this.
    2. Make sure that there are no other antivirus or security software running in the background. Running multiple security software can cause conflicts and high CPU load.
    3. Check if there are any malware or viruses on your system. You can use the F-Secure app to scan your system and remove any threats Running a virus scan manually | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides
    4. Check if there are any resource-intensive applications running on your system. Close any unnecessary applications and see if that helps.

I hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns. Have a great day!

• Frankhe

Hi Firmy,

I activated F-Secure again, did not uninstall and reinstall the application. CPU-load is currently perfectly fine. At the moment I am not able to reproduce the same behaviour. See screenshot:

I am on macOS 12.6.3 on a M1 Pro. F-Secure SAFE is on version 19.0 (48998) and Database version: 2023-04-04_04.

• Frankhe

https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/comment/132560#Comment_132560Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your reply. When the issue occurs again I will collect the information and create a support ticket. I hope the issue stays away.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info