F-Secure blocks the new Rockstar Games launcher

NoDuels
NoDuels Posts: 3 New Member
edited October 2023 in F-Secure Internet Security

Hello,

The new client version of F-secure 19.0 or/and the new Rockstar games launcher aren't compatible with each other. I was in contact with their support and we confirmed that F-secure is blocking the launcher for some weird reason.

Obviously disabling the client is not a solution for me, so any other solutions would be very much appreciated :)

Accepted Answer

Answer ✓

What is probably happening, which has been a problem with Steam too, is that DeepGuard is injecting a DLL to monitor the behaviour of those executables. They have some form of copy protection that reacts badly to being injected and refuse to work properly. So we are not actually blocking them, but "interfering" enough to cause them to fail internally.

We should be able to exclude them from DeepGuard injections remotely, thank you for sending the sample.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Answers

• NoDuels

Sorry about the Finnish title, you may change it to: F-secure blocks the new rockstar games launcher

• Skemp1266
    Skemp1266 Posts: 1 New Member

Same problem here, screwed up the game completely. Even after uninstalling Fsecure the game was screwed up. Had to delete game, Steam and all data associated with game to get it to work again. There should be an warning asking to block, not do it, and that leaves you troubleshooting for a bit. Please fix.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,607 Community Manager

Sorry about the Finnish title, you may change it to: F-secure blocks the new rockstar games launcher

I have edited the title of the post.

@NoDuels @Skemp1266

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

To further investigate the issue, I suggest submitting a file sample of the blocked launcher to F-Secure's labs. You can do this by following this link: https://www.f-secure.com/en/support/submit-a-sample. Once the file has been submitted, our Malware Analyst will personally get in touch with you via email.

Alternatively, you can exclude the launcher file from being scanned by F-Secure by following the steps outlined in their support documentation: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-windows/latest/en/task_13205052E3D44C44BA2491A55A7F818F-latest-en.

I hope this helps resolve your issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you and have a good day.

• NoDuels

Thanks!

Launcher and LauncherPatcher are not detected as harmful files (false positive). It just seems like deepguard is blocking them. The game gives an error that the launcher failed to initialize.

Excluding these files allows the game to run

• C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Launcher\Launcher.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Launcher\LauncherPatcher.exe

Anyways, even though the files weren't detected as harmful, I sent the samples.

• darkmater
    darkmater Posts: 2 New Member

Hello

I have buy GTA Definitive Edition on Epic launcher and install two GTA games and download with 1-2 Mb

tested on F-secure and Internet Security versions

on other AV-Software I installed 2 Trials get download and install 30Mb and more fastest speed

add Epic to exceptions and disable F-secure not helped

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,607 Community Manager

Hello @darkmater

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

I'd be happy to provide you with more information. Can you please let me know which device you are using and the operating system version?

If you're experiencing slow download speeds while installing the GTA Definitive Edition on the Epic launcher, here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your internet connection: Slow download speeds can often be caused by a poor internet connection. Check your connection speed and make sure it meets the minimum requirements for downloading and installing the game.
    2. Close other programs and downloads: Running other programs or downloading other files can slow down your internet connection and impact download speeds. Close any unnecessary programs or downloads and try the installation again.
    3. Try a different time of day: Internet speeds can vary depending on the time of day, so try installing the game during off-peak hours when there is less internet traffic.
    4. Use a wired connection: If you're using a Wi-Fi connection, try connecting your device to the internet with a wired connection to improve download speeds.
    5. Contact Epic Games support: If none of the above solutions works, contact Epic Games support for further assistance with the issue.

As for your question about F-Secure potentially affecting download speeds, one option to check is to temporarily disable the security feature. However, please remember to re-enable it once you have completed your download.

Turning off all security features | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Turning off all security features | Internet Security (2022) | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a great day!

• darkmater
    darkmater Posts: 2 New Member

Hello I have Windows 10 and I reset my system and today normally downloaded any gta game on Epic Launcher,

I think some app is run in background like broke update or startup, have wired 
    internet connection and normally downloaded on Steam or other gaming app 30Mb/s or more

Thanks for support

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info