Using plex media server

breaksbadger
breaksbadger Posts: 4 Observer

HI,

I recently purchased a licence for F-Secure SAFE and am very happy with it so far.

Unfortunatley I dont seem to be able to run my plex media server within my home network from a laptop with SAFE installed.

Ive tried adding exceptions to the ignored programs list and to the web address for the plex interface with no luck?

It's definatley SAFE thats blocking it as uninstalling it solves the issue.

Cheers

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hello @breaksbadger

Thank you for your reply.

The same is when I try to access the server from my Amazon fire stick. App opens, but no media.

F-Secure does not support Amazon OS, hence if you have installed F-Secure SAFE on it, it will not work fine amazon firestick — F-Secure Community

And can you provide me with the details of the affected device with the Plex Media server which is installed with F-Secure SAFE? What is the operating system? And which version? Do you have another anti-virus installed on the same device? And do you have a VPN installed?

Plex media server was not blocked by windows firewall before installing F-Secure SAFE and was running fine. Unless you're saying the installation will have changed the firewall policies?

I am sorry to make you confuse, however, did you check the Windows Defender Firewall after installing F-Secure SAFE? It is worth checking the settings before and after installing F-Secure SAFE, so, you will more idea of what has been changed and what caused the blocking.

As for my network, I only try to use Plex within my home network, I don't try and connect from outside?

Did you set your home network to be public or private? You can check it out here

Thank you and have a good day.

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager

Hi @breaksbadger

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

Unfortunatley I dont seem to be able to run my plex media server within my home network from a laptop with SAFE installed.

Could you provide us with more details on what you mean by you are not able to run the Plex Media server? Does this mean it does not open when you click on the icon? Did you receive any errors?

Can you check if the Plex Media server is blocked by Windows Firewall after installing SAFE? You can check it from this link Risks of allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall - Microsoft Support

And did you set your network to be public or private?

Thank you and have a good day.

• breaksbadger

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

As for your questions, if I open the interface for Plex media server on my laptop where it is installed there are no error codes and the interface doesn't show my media or the folders containing the media, it's just in a perpetual state of refresh.

The same is when I try to access the server from my Amazon fire stick. App opens, but no media.

I've had this issue before with other antivirus, but adding exceptions to Plex has always fixed it before?

Plex media server was not blocked by windows firewall before installing F-Secure SAFE and was running fine. Unless you're saying the installation will have changed the firewall policies?

As for my network, I only try to use Plex within my home network, I don't try and connect from outside?

Thanks in advance

• breaksbadger

Hi,

Think we may be confusing each other a little here? lol

F-Secure does not support Amazon OS, hence if you have installed F-Secure SAFE on it, it will not work fine.

I didnt mean that F secure was installed on my amazon fire stick, only that I was trying to use the plex media app on it and it was prevented from connecting to the media server running on my laptop..... which does have f secure installed on it.

My laptop is what both f secure and the plex server are installed upon. Since the installation of f secure it appears to have changed something in the background that now prevents the plex media server from being accessed either on the laptop itself or from other devices from within my home network. The laptop is running windows 10, no other antivirus is installed and yes I do have a VPN installed but this doesnt make any difference if turned on or off to the working of plex. As said before, it all seemed to work fine before installing f secure. I honestly belive its changed some settings somewhere? Just cant work out what?

I am sorry to make you confuse, however, did you check the Windows Defender Firewall after installing F-Secure SAFE? It is worth checking the settings before and after installing F-Secure SAFE, so, you will more idea of what has been changed and what caused the blocking.

I'll double check tonight when I get home, anything specific I should be looking for?

Did you set your home network to be public or private?

Sorry, I see what you mean now. It's always set to private as is my home network.

Thanks

• breaksbadger

Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm now using Jellyfin media server for my multimedia uses.

This works flawlessly with both F-Secure SAFE and my VPN with no additional steps needed.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info