Password clipboard timeout

Calu
Calu Posts: 9 Explorer

On F-secure key the copied passwords would expire after 2 minutes.

Is this feature supposed to not be available anymore?

Accepted Answer

• Calu
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

Alright. I did a bit more digging.

The reason why the clearing of the password worked on that test was because I opened again ID protection while I was waiting for some time to pass.

Re-doing the test with copying a password. Pasting it. Waiting 2 minutes. Opening ID protection again. Attempting to paste the password. -> The password has been cleared.

For some reason, whenever ID protection is not in the foreground it completely stops, rendering it unable to wipe the clipboard. So, on my day to day, the clipboard is not cleared because I don't reopen the app.

(I used the android developer options -> Running services to check)

There might be some setting somewhere that could help, but I have not found it. I tried disabling the adaptive battery setting on android, but ID protection doesn't wanna hang out in the background.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions! :D I think we're on the right track!

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

With my installation of F-Secure ID Protection (which is, actually, beta build) still works. Checked with Windows 10 laptop and Android 12 smartphone (however, with expired subscription for solution).

What is your platform / device? Is it still F-Secure KEY or F-Secure ID in use already?

// the related trouble was once placed there: Clipboard keeps passwords forever-error — F-Secure Community (with no solution, though). there seemed to be some other references (but I didn’t find it quickly).

If your experience is also about Android device - perhaps, something with 'clipboard' design or potential custom one. Or some permissions/restrictions in place. So, if you will back with more information - good!

• Calu

The issue is on ID protection on Android (sorry about the original post, saying key... old habit)

App version 6.2.0.993 - Android 11

i have a friend also using ID protection that has the same issue. I didn't think about it before they mentioned it...

I just tested it and the password stayed on my clipboard for 8 minutes.

Which is a bit too much time for me, and it is quite odd since it used to be 2 minutes.... ??

• Calu

PS: I did check the permissions and I didn't see anything "obvious" missing. And just the fact that it is erased after 8 minutes tells me it is potentially a change in the feature rather than a set-up issue.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

The issue is on ID protection on Android (sorry about the original post, saying key... old habit) App version 6.2.0.993 - Android 11 i have a friend also using ID protection that has the same issue. I didn't think about it before they mentioned it... I just tested it and the password stayed on my clipboard for 8 minutes. Which is a bit too much time for me, and it is quite odd since it used to be 2 minutes.... ??

Very thanks for your response and reply!

PS: I did check the permissions and I didn't see anything "obvious" missing. And just the fact that it is erased after 8 minutes tells me it is potentially a change in the feature rather than a set-up issue.

And for this follow-up. Actually, sorry that I did not mention in my original comment that I checked against 2 minutes (when writing that "still works") ...

The reason why the clearing of the password worked on that test was because I opened again ID protection while I was waiting for some time to pass.

... and did it exactly in that way. However, I just keep F-Secure ID Protection in front of me (or, at least, did not close it). Perhaps, more important was "not to logout" from the app (not to 'lock' it). With both: Android or Windows.

Re-doing the test with copying a password. Pasting it. Waiting 2 minutes. Opening ID protection again. Attempting to paste the password. -> The password has been cleared. For some reason, whenever ID protection is not in the foreground it completely stops, rendering it unable to wipe the clipboard. So, on my day to day, the clipboard is not cleared because I don't reopen the app.

So, I tried to play about it with my devices and actually reproduced the trouble. Or a kind of it.

With any (?) closing the application or switching to another screen - and the copied password remained or will remain for more than two minutes. And I could not "auto-clear" it after restarting the application.

// (maybe) with inclusion step - if I tried to paste it after copied

With Android device: I copied the password and switched to the main menu of the device (I tried to paste the password - it worked) - I have a quick autolock for ID Protection - so I don’t know .. whether it was right away or not. But realizing that the password is still pasting. I went back to ID Protection, but did not manage to provoke cleaning clipboard. Then relogin to ID Protection - and password is still pasting.

With Windows device: I copied the password, tried to paste it in some places. And immediately lock application and close it by "Quit". So, I still do able to paste it with system 'path' destination (explorer), with browser and so on even after two minutes. However(!), I cannot to paste it with Notepad (as example) - and cannot do that right after lock/quite from ID Protection. There are some more points about - but it is already enough to mention.

There might be some setting somewhere that could help, but I have not found it. I tried disabling the adaptive battery setting on android, but ID protection doesn't wanna hang out in the background.

I wrote in my first comment that ""there seemed to be some other references (but I didn’t find it quickly)."" - but now I'm starting to think that I just did a report at the time about it (what I described now) as part of the beta channel (..but maybe not). At least, for Windows client.

I will try to play with it later. And also, to figure out if it is something unexpected... or not by design. Especially, when discussing Android.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions! :D I think we're on the right track!

I think there may also be a combo of different reasons here. With each situation.

Thanks!

• Calu

Thanks for the reply! :D

With Android device: I copied the password and switched to the main menu of the device (I tried to paste the password - it worked) - I have a quick autolock for ID Protection - so I don’t know .. whether it was right away or not. But realizing that the password is still pasting. I went back to ID Protection, but did not manage to provoke cleaning clipboard. Then relogin to ID Protection - and password is still pasting.

For reference, when I said "closed" in my previous post I mean switching apps. I never forcibly closed ID protection. Also, the autolock on my ID protection is 5 minutes, which might be why it still triggered when I switched back to it (?)

My testing was trying to paste the password over and over again every minute :P

• Calu

Don't know why one of my comments got marked as an answer.

But tl;dr It feels like a feature gap, and it is a much needed feature...

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager

Hello @Calu

We always encourage our users to submit suggestions or ideas to improve the feature and service.

To submit a suggestion, you can visit this link Feature Requests — F-Secure Community

Thank you and have a good day.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info