Detecting but not removing infections: Security Suite 18.2

coprolite
coprolite Posts: 3 Observer

Detecting but not removing infections: Security Suite 18.2

Windows 10

To whom it may concern I could use some help trying to get the security software to remove or quarantine infections. Or otherwise find a simple way to resolve the problems. I'm an old timer not able to learn much with only basic computer and security skills. So I doubt I have the skill to remove and may damage the software if I attempt. I just installed the security software today and I'm already having problems.

Seemingly all or most of the infections were found in the Mozilla folder, so perhaps I can remove it and reinstall Firefox. Perhaps that will remove the infection?

Seemingly 30 infections were found but they were not quarantined or removed when prompted.

64 folders not scanned, though I set no exclusions. I'm concerned that the folders that were skipped may contain infections.

Please assist. Thanks.

Scanning engines:

F-Secure Capricorn: 18.0.895 (2022-09-16)

F-Secure Hydra: 6.0.528 (2022-09-15)

F-Secure Lynx: 2.6.4

F-Secure Online: 18.10.1072

F-Secure USS: 6.0.188 (2020-04-14)

F-Secure Virgo: 1.3.48 (2022-09-14)

F-Secure Virgo Detection: 18.10.1072

Edit: PII removed

Accepted Answers

• Cassandra
    Cassandra Posts: 3 Explorer
    Answer ✓

disk usage in Windows 10, the issue could result from Windows itself or a variety of other programs. From Windows Superfetch, to a virus or malware, to outdated drivers or firmware, there are many causes. Often, your problem will be the result of several issues.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am also only an F-Secure user.

In fact, you could always try to reach their official Support Channels (for example, web-chat): Contact support | F-Secure

It is useful because they could try to assist you with remote help.

However, based on your description.

One trouble is "Malware.JS/YAV.Minerva" with various generic detections over some JavaScript files (.js extension) in Mozilla Firefox browser. I am not familiar with Firefox design - so, it could be profile with cached browser history (viewed web-pages) or installed addons/extensions.

Like this

C:\Users\__user__\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\__hash__.default\cache2\entries\1536CF20B742017EE0C71BE8B8F9E86887BE2478\[17] preference.js - Skipped

Since all paths are about related view, and some wording in .js files - perhaps - it is not installed extension or addon (which could be legitimate or 'fake/rogue' one), but browser's cache. At least, by searching about "cache2" in Firefox - there is a discussion: how to clear Cache2 (which is huge) upon exit AUTOMATILLY NOT MANUALLY without deleting history or cookies | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

64 folders not scanned, though I set no exclusions. I'm concerned that the folders that were skipped may contain infections.

Most of them are okay (probably). And supposed to be skipped (not scanned). The rest looks like a harmless.

But, better do not put any of such logs on public web-pages. Because what if it will contain some private information. Better to use it when it is 'Support ticket' via trusted channels.

So, I think you indeed could try to clear up Firefox cache (browser history) with keeping only needed information for you (like Cookies or so). And """so perhaps I can remove it and reinstall Firefox""" should be as a workaround too. But I could not assist about why this 'malicious' items exist; and what they did / do; Perhaps, Support Agents with more information can suggest something.

Thanks!

Answers

• coprolite

I got inpatient before anyone responded and I deleted the Mozilla folder. Firefox still worked. So I assume it installed any needed files on its own, hopefully without the infection.

Afterwords I ran another full scan with no infections detected. So hopefully the infections are gone.

I'm not very security tech or language savvy.

Hopefully this will neutralize the threats. Thanks for your responses.

• coprolite

Could a moderator please remove this thread or at least the attached file. Thanks.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,609 Community Manager

Hi @coprolite

I have removed the scan logs from this post.

Kindly let me know if you require further assistance.

Thank you and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info