Is there a way to reset my ID Protection account?

Hammered_Dulcimerist
Hammered_Dulcimerist Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2022 in F-Secure ID Protection

I set up ID Protection in October of 2021, but never actually used it for any password management. I wanted to start using it today, but of course I forgot the master password. I attempted to scan the recovery QR code that I saved from back when I set things up, but received a "Wrong QR Image Loaded" error.

Since I have nothing saved in it at this time, is there a way for me to simply wipe the account and start over?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,608 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi @Hammered_Dulcimerist

Welcome to our Community page. Thank you for your post.

On iPhone and iPad (iOS) you need to reinstall the product. Uninstall happens by touching the app icon for a brief moment until icons start to move. You will discover a circle with a cross in it. Pressing the cross "deletes" the app, i.e. does the uninstall. This also removes all the encrypted data. Now when you install the app again you will be asked to create the master password just as with first use and the contents of the app will be empty.

On Android you need to navigate to the apps menu via settings. When you find the F-Secure ID PROTECTION from your app list, select the "Force stop" to shut down the app and then use the clear data button next to force stop to clean all app related data. When you restart the app again you will be asked to create the master password just as with first use and the contents of the app will be empty.

On Windows you must first close F-Secure ID PROTECTION application. Then open the Windows control panel and select "Add or remove programs". In the list of installed programs you will see installation package called "F-Secure ID PROTECTION: User Data" or possibly F-Secure KEY: User Data if you have originally upgraded F-Secure ID PROTECTION from F-Secure KEY. When you uninstall this user data package it will clean the password data of the current user. You can now close the control panel dialogs and restart F-Secure ID PROTECTION. 

Note: If you do not see the User data in the "Add or remove programs" list , please use the Windows uninstallation tool by F-Secure which you can download from here. Once run the file choose Select what to remove and then choose User data and click Next to remove.

You will be asked to create the master password just as with first use and the contents of the app will be empty. (In the background a new "F-Secure ID PROTECTION: User Data" installation package will be created.)

How to start a fresh F-Secure ID PROTECTION on Mac:

To remove the product completely from your computer, you need to remove both the F-Secure ID PROTECTION app and the local storage (containing your Vault data) separately.

Note: Before you start removing the app, make sure that it is no longer running.

To remove the product from your computer:

1. Open a Terminal:
      1. Open the Applications folder.
      2. Open the Utilities folder.
      3. Double-click Terminal.
    2. Use the Terminal to run the following two commands:
      • rm -r "/Applications/ID PROTECTION.app" (This removes the app from your computer.)
      • rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/F-Secure/Pwmgr (This removes the local storage from your computer.)

You have now removed the app and its data from your computer and you can now install a fresh F-Secure ID Protection again.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Thank you and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info