Problem installing F-Secure on iMac M1

janauk
janauk Posts: 6 Observer
edited November 2022 in F-Secure Internet Security

I install F-Secure on my new iMac M1. When I do a restart then I have to wait for 30 seconds or more before bluetooth mouse and keybord are connecting to the computer. And then I can login. When I unstinstall F-Secure then everything is normal. Is there a solution?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi @janauk

Thank you for your reply and information.

I would recommend you to contact the operator, XS4ALL, and address this issue to their technical support.

You can reach XS4ALL support from the following link: https://www.xs4all.nl/contact

Thank you and stay safe.

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager

Hi @janauk

Welcome to our Community page. Thank you for your post.

We require more information regarding this issue. May I know which macOS version are you using on your iMac? And may I know which application from F-Secure do you have on your iMac?

Kindly check for your macOS update and kindly make sure you have installed all available updates for your iMac Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support (SG)

After that, kindly uninstall the apps on your Mac by using the Uninstallation tool for Mac. You may download the tool from this link https://www.f-secure.com/us-en/home/support/tools

Once done, kindly restart your Mac and reinstall F-Secure application.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Thank you and stay safe.

• janauk

Hello,

I have an iMac 24 inch, M1, 2021 with macOS 12.3.1

I use F-secure Safe from Xs4all. I did an uninstall. Without F-Secure there is a delay of about 5 seconds before keyboard and mouse are connecting. But with F-Secure I have to wait too long. Also the whole startup process significant lasts longer. I did an install and uninstall three times and it is always F-Secure which causes the long delay.

• janauk

Yes I know, but Xs4all isn't the developer and in the end they will send the problem to F-Secure.

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 234 F-Secure Employee

Hello, @janauk!

Would you mind checking a few things that might help us isolate the issue?

I would be interested to check which SAFE feature is causing this behavior on your system. There are two main suspects: real-time scanning and DeepGuard. Let's try disabling them one by one to see if there is any difference in the performance.

So I would start from:

• open SAFE preferences by clicking the SAFE icon in the menubar area and selecting "Preferences..."
    • Remove the tick against "Turn on real-time scanning" on Viruses&Threats tab
    • Reboot and check if the behavior with long connection time of Bluetooth accessories is still there
    • If it is, try disabling DeepGuard from the corresponding tab in the SAFE preferences and reboot again

Please share your observations while you do this with us. We can investigate it more closely once we know what exactly is causing it. Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• janauk

Yes, unchecking real time scanning helps a lot. the Bluetooth connection is quick again, within 5 seconds. And the whole startup time is normal again.

With real time scanning it is nearly impossible to get Bluetooth connection without using the small on/off buttons on mouse and keyboard.

• janauk

But in the meantime, protection is disabled. So what can you advise me?

• janauk

https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/comment/129553#Comment_129553Hello @ArthurVal

Yes, unchecking real time scanning helps a lot. The Bluetooth connection is quick again, within 5 seconds. And the whole startup time is normal again.

With real time scanning on it is nearly impossible to get a Bluetooth connection without using the small on/off buttons on mouse and keyboard.

This week I had to switch from Xs4all to KPN, because of merging between the two companies. But as far as I can see KPN uses the same F-Secure.

• mrF
    mrF Posts: 15 Enthusiast

Hello,

I have been experiencing a somewhat similar problem with my setup: Macbook Pro M1 Pro - MacOs 12.3 and 12.3.1 - F-secure v 18.1 and 18.2.

The system takes a lot more time to start. It is particularly visible for me as the system seems to freeze for at least 5s until the F-secure icon appears in the upper tray and the icons finally appear on the desktop. As suggested here, disabling the real-time protection makes the problem go away. Uninstalling and re-installing F-secure doesn't help and the problem persists.

So there's definitely something going on with macos 12 and M1 chips. Hopefully the issue will be identified.

Thanks.

• mrF
    mrF Posts: 15 Enthusiast

Hello,

As MacOS 12.4 was recently released, I gave another try. After the update from 12.3 to 12.4, I uninstalled F-secure SAFE using the provided tool and re-installed it from scratch (i.e. I re-downloaded the installer from my F-secure account management page). Unfortunately, the issue is still present and the mac took more than 10 s to show the desktop. Once again, disabling the real-time scanning appears to be a workaround (deepguard still enabled though).

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info