Why does F-Secure SAFE still close after entering PayPal password

Ron11
Ron11 Posts: 19 Observer
edited September 2022 in F-Secure Internet Security

This problem started in June 2021 and still hasn't been fixed, making my use of PayPal risky.

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @Ron11

Thank you for your post.

May I confirm with you again that you are having an inquiry related to banking protection to PayPal site? If yes, kindly go through the explanations below.

• Please note that the exact sign-in page for PayPal should be categorized as 'Banking' in the system so that Banking Protection will be triggered only when you click on Log In.
    • Banking does not trigger on the main page itself because it is heavily used by their patron sites even up to their logo so it will unnecessarily trigger Banking Protection on those sites.

Regarding to banking protection does not appear on the second time you logged in to the PayPal site, it can be due to 'cool down' period. There is a 60 second 'cool down' period after ending the previous banking session. If you start a new session during this time, banking protection is not activated.

To help troubleshoot, do the following:

1. Open Main F-Secure product view
    2. Choose Settings
    3. Turn Secure browsing  On/Off.
    • If the product has been upgraded, restart the computer and try accessing your online bank again.
      • Note: Do a restart and NOT Shut down and then start, as Windows no longer fully shuts down the computer in most cases when you choose the Shut down
    1. Turn off and on the security features of the product:Open F-Secure program
    2. Click on Tools
    3. Click on Turn off all security features
    4. Click on Turn on, to activate the program again.
    • Check that the Browsing Protection extension is enabled on the browser:If you use Microsoft Edge
    1. Open the browser 
    2. Look for the 3 dots on top right corner, click on it
    3. Once done, choose Extensions
    4. Under Installed Extensions, look for Browsing Protection by F-Secure
    5. Move the slider button to the right to enable it, once done it will turn to blue to indicates it is enabled
    • If you use Firefox:
      1. Open your browser to check if the browser extension is turned on
      2. Select Add-ons from the menu, then click Extensions
      3. Click Enable next to the Browsing Protection extension
    • If you use Chrome:
      1. Select More tools > Extensions from the menu
      2. Select Enable next to the Browsing Protection extension
      3. Go to the Details
      4. Under Site access select On all sites
    • If you use Internet Explorer:
      1. Select Tools > Manage Add-ons
      2. Select the Browsing Protection extension, and click Enable
    • If the browsing protection extension is not listed in your browser, you need to reinstall the extension manually:
      1. Open the F-Secure product user interface 
      2. Go to Settings 
      3. Go to the Secure browsing tab and scroll down to the Browser extensions section
      4. If you use Firefox or Internet Explorer, click Reinstall extensions.
      5. If you use Chrome, click Open Chrome Web Store to go the browsing protection extension's page, and then click Add to Chrome.

The banking protection banner will only be triggered if you went to a banking website. Some online shopping websites may need your information for your bank and the first request usually will trigger since it will take you to your online bank. However, if the checkout page stays on the same website, it will not trigger banking protection.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Thank you and stay safe.

Answers

• Ron11

One thing I've just discovered is that, for any banking site, I can only get Safe the first time I login, a second time doesn't trigger Safe so I have to log out of my Firefox browser whereupon, on selection of a bank site, Safe functions once again.

• Ron11

https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/comment/129379#Comment_129379Hello Firmy,

SAFE works fine when I open & log in to PayPal - it also opens fine when a shop opens PP (which suggests that all my Firefox settings are correct). But, when opened by a shop, the green border is established but the instant I enter my password (actually the first keystroke), the green SAFE border unwinds & I assume I'm then at risk.

Thanks,

Ron

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,621 Community Manager
    edited April 2022

Hi @Ron11

Thank you for your comment.

The URL might not be listed in our OSRP as a banking site. I will check with our team. I have sent you a private message. Kindly provide me with the exact shop's URL where you encountered that error.

Thank you and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info