FS Protection PC 18.3 releases

2»

Answers

Indeed. We are adding popup dialog confirming success or failure of the operation in next beta.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Hello,

I tested with Windows 11 and pin to taskbar and everything seems to work properly. We did some fixes to pin to taskbar functionality in early December, so I'm wondering if you have pinned it before those changes and they somehow broke it. To test this, I would suggest you unpin and pin again to taskbar (right-click on the icon, "Unpin from taskbar")

(F-Secure R&D)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for the discussion.

Is something wrong (or it is rather expected) with the next flow:

-> search company with Google. For example, "Something Ltd".

-> search results are about its current website ("certain domain ONE") in indexed pages and Google-feature card with 'button' Web-site (which is a "certain domain TWO").

-> FS Protection with kids profile and Content Blocker enabled ("unrated/uncategorized/unknown content" filter).

-> "certain domain ONE" is uncategorized (so, it is visible with "restricted/blocked" rating logo in search results) - however "certain domain TWO" is not (safe and categorized).

-> Microsoft Edge browser. With installed BP extension. And with "InPrivate" mode - when extension disabled.

trouble part:

-> if I will try to open "certain domain ONE" directly - page is blocked (fs protection blockpage) or is not opened (InPrivate mode, with generic description "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR").

-> however, if I will use "WebSite" button from Google card (or will try to open it directly) - "certain domain TWO" - there is a redirect to "certain domain ONE" in result and page is opened / visible / accessible.

mitigations:

-> with enabled extension - any further action on website (certain domain ONE) like navigation to another part of website or refreshing page - and website is blocked.

additional points:

-> however, with InPrivate mode - I then can use all parts of website without restrictions. If that "uncategorized" webpage has been accessed by described flow.

Perhaps, this is expected situation. And partially discussed / explained with reports like SAFE_BUG-03232, SAFE_BUG-01825, SAFE_BUG-02830 (which were mostly about harmful rated files). And additionally related to server (certain domain TWO) configuration with redirect. But I feel a bit of strange that I can to open / see or use 'restricted' website by opening it by redirection from 'safe/allowed' website. With enabled BP extension - there are less trouble points (but what if the very first touch can be with some impact too).

Thanks and sorry for the length. As such, described situation is about Seafood Farmers of Norway (Seafood Farmers (SFA) - Hofseth International AS)

Thanks!

• Ivan_Osipov
    Ivan_Osipov Posts: 77 Former F-Secure Employee
    edited February 2022

Hi Ukko,

Thanks for your feedback. Could you please create a ticket about it with a fsdiag file?

It would be easier to track and discuss the issue there.

• Ivan_Osipov

Release 18.3 beta 4 (4.80.1325):

New features:

• Notification pop-ups after clicking the "Reset reputation cache" button (PBL-9502)
    • Allow enabling WebView2 debug logging in Settings (PBL-9326). This is useful when R&D needs more information about problems with embedded web views.

Fixed issues:

• SAFE_BUG-03594: Lock screen may not be triggered in case Bedtime starts at midnight (0:00) (PBL-9519)
    • "Scan for viruses" from Explorer context menu fails silently when product expired (PBL-9454)
    • IDP & ID Monitoring feature cards are shown for the child user (PBL-9520)

Known bugs:

• When using WebView2 debug logging
      • On Windows 8.1 and newer there is a console window opened when debug logging is turned on. If you close this console window, main UI crashes.
      • "Technical reasons" error is shown if you elevate Settings and enable WebView2 logging with launched Main UI.

• Ivan_Osipov

Release 18.3 beta 5 (4.80.1534):

New features:

• Hidden option to enable software rendering for all user interfaces. You can see it by holding shift, while right-clicking tray icon. This should be only used in case there are rendering issues with the user interface
    • There were changes to how the product discovers update servers. Please report if you have any problems receiving updates.

Fixed issues:

• The main UI says "protecting me" after logging into as a child until you re-open the main UI (PBL-9567)
    • No webview2 logs from the Switch user view after the installation (PBL-9574)
    • Counters string does not fit (PBL-9585/SAFE_BUG-03607). NB: localizations are not ready yet, they will be updated separately.
    • "Technical reasons" error is shown if you elevate Settings and enable WebView2 logging with launched Main UI.

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

verbose update without a glitch

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Got 18.3 beta 5 yesterday on Win 10.

Got a message to restart.

Shut down the PC and started again in the morning.

The message was still asking for restart.

So is restart something that shut down and start again does not do?

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Thanks Ville.

I also use

%windir%\system32\Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

which should do the restart as far as I can see.

Likewise for shutdown

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

As many of you have already noticed, Firefox blocked our browser extension. We are working to solve this issue but it looks like it will take a while. We will release a new beta next week that removes the suggestion to install extension to Firefox. Thanks for your patience.

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

no block here ffox 98.0.1 x64

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've not been around for a while.

I just noticed a small thing, which I don't see mentioned in this thread.

The subscription date format is not consistent on the main UI front page, and could be confusing at times. Mine states Subscription Valid until 02/10/22 in the top right corner, but in the Recent Events panel, the date is formatted as 10/02/22. Maybe this needs a small tweak?

• Ivan_Osipov

Hello Simon,

Thanks for your feedback, I have sent you a private message.

• Ukko

Hello,

sorry for one more ask.

Can I ask about SAFE_BUG-03586 (?). My experience is still about described flow. But I am not sure if the next extension version already here (I do able to suspect so, but I did not remember build number of the extension at the time).

I feel strange points about - just because response was about like "a temporarily glitch" and it should switched to normal state after some seconds. But my experience is not about that. At least, I could not find a direct relation to exact steps. And when "glitch here" - minutes or hours are not really helpful.

I do able 'temporarily' fix situation by disable and re-enable Microsoft Edge extension back. Then, some time it will be with a proper functioning. However, then the trouble is back (did not understand when exactly - I supposed restart - but it was not always like that).

I am just not sure that another report is needed. Maybe I just misunderstood something.

Thanks!

We had a small mistake with licensing done yesterday, which resulted in wrong license types assigned for many beta users. While this does not break the client, it means that Windows and Mac client is showing expiration date on 2022-07-01 UTC, while mobiles and Safe Home is showing something else. We are going to roll back this change soon, which means any Windows and Mac client installed after 2022-03-24 10:00:00 UTC are going to lose license and have to be reactivated. To reactivate, please select "Log out" from the main UI and then log in again.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Ivan_Osipov

Release 18.3 beta 6 (4.80.1649):

New features:

• Tamper protection is turning off for incorrect path installation. It also shows you a notification in Settings if it is broken (PBL-9596)
      • Note that this should not affect beta clients as they are installed in a correct path.

Fixed issues:

• .NET windows crash if you edit settings as a non-admin user with UAC turned off (PBL-9603)
  • take04
    take04 Posts: 10 Explorer

I have a small issue with browser enhancements (beta). I temporarily tried using Browsing Protection by F-Secure 3.032 and it was fine.

• dukavi
    dukavi Posts: 119 F-Secure Product Expert

take04, is the extension still functional (other then "file not found" problem)?

• take04
    take04 Posts: 10 Explorer

Hello,@dukavi

I can't say for sure, but the enhancement itself seems to work fine. I think I'm simply missing out on the link.

• dukavi
    dukavi Posts: 119 F-Secure Product Expert

We identified the reason of ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND problem. Fixed extension version is 4.2.17 for Chrome/Edge and 4.1.20 for Firefox.

• Ukko

Hello,

Sorry for two more concerns.

FIRST: how long does it take for "Security Cloud" (from "no connection") to return / switch to normal? And should it at all?

Background: while trying to troubleshoot some troubles, I also tried to check some other points. One of them - looks like that whenever I run laptop with offline state (no Ethernet connection, no Wi-Fi) and keep it for some time (minutes, perhaps, should be enough) - and only then enable network connection -> most of web-resources are uncategorized / unrated / unknown content (which is blocked category in my installation for Content Blocker). At first, Security Cloud still with "ON/connected" state; most of the checks - I tried to clear cache (from Settings) - with no result (probably) and then Security Cloud switched to "no connected" and after ten minutes (or so) - still both troubles there (Security Cloud off // web-resources with 'unknown' reputation/rating/category). So, I am not sure how long need to wait for autoswitch back to connected Security Cloud (since network is here) or whether "clear cache" can be helpful there (when Security Cloud is still with ON state - but pages are uncategorized). With those tries - restart system and all is fine. So, restart services can be helpful too (but I did not try; However, as I remember - switch off all security features and back to on - with no result).

SECOND: is it somehow possible to improve / handle next situation for more visible 'information'.

Some weeks (or days) I noticed that Browsing Protection UI screen with a very huge (for expected amount) counter of blocked harmful websites. Like "thousands". Recent Events list and Windows Journal (event viewer) with no recorded events about.

I tried to use fsdiag and found out about what is blocked resource: this is one of 'domains/resources/subpages' as part of CDN or user-generated content storages on a certain resource was rated as harmful. So, blocked at background and not noticeable. Perhaps, some pictures or avatars can be blocked during use of website. However, despite increasing statistics in fs protection UI - practically it is unclear what and when blocked.

Could it be somehow improved or changed? I liked that Counter increased! I very liked that 'URL' blocked. But just confused that it is a pretty tricky to find what is a reason / which resource can be harmful and so on.

Thanks!

• Ivan_Osipov
    edited April 2022

Hello everyone,

SAFE 18.3 is now available on production!

Thanks for all your contribution. Stay tuned, 18.4 will come soon.