Vulnerable router ports etc

huthutmaster
huthutmaster Posts: 3 New Member
edited August 2022 in F-Secure VPN

There have been reports of (another) vulnerability in many routers. "The KCodes NetUSB bug. It might be time to once again check for router firmware updates. The security research firm SentinelOne has discovered that some common code licensed by a number of prominent router manufacturers contains a highly critical remotely exploitable flaw. Among the routers known to be affected are those by Netgear, TP-Link, Tenda, EDiMAX, DLink and Western Digital."

This affects port 20005 and Steve Gibson at( www.grc.com) has a simple test here see https://grc.sc/854 that checks to see if that port is open/closed or 'stealth' (no response = drops any packets). I have freedome on my phone and windows10 PC.

With Freedome OFF - the test to my house router shows 'stealth' but with Freedome ON the test shows as 'closed'.

Since Freedome is running on my device(s), the encrypted 'tunnel' passes through my router and the firewall cannot block port 20005 so the open port is (I assume) at your router?

With Freedome OFF, the test checks MY router and shows 'stealth' (I drop port 20005).

So.. this made me wonder what vulnerabilities could pass through your routers, directly to my device(s) through the VPN?

My devices rely on the security of your routers but I don't know what sort of protection it can offer and it may not be possible for you even to block some things.

I would be interested to know your opinion(s)

Many thanks

Accepted Answer

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @huthutmaster

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

There's nothing wrong with Freedome showing any port as "closed" instead of "stealth" in Steve Gibson's port scanner. That means the Freedome exit node is actively rejecting any connection attempts on that port, and doesn't mean that router vulnerabilities are "passing through" to your home devices.

Answers

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @huthutmaster

Firstly, may I confirm if you are using F-Secure SENSE router as you have mentioned towards the tail end of your post?

My devices rely on the security of your routers but I don't know what sort of protection it can offer and it may not be possible for you even to block some things.

Regarding the vulnerability, we are liaising with SENSE team on their take on this topic. I will get back to you once I have a response from them.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info