A bug or what?

Geralt7
Geralt7 Posts: 3 New Member

Hello!

I have F-Secure Safe on my laptop and the indicator for files scanned is missing. I also downloaded a few files today but the ticker for downloads scanned didn't go any higher. Should I be worried that I have malware/virus or is it just a miscellaneous bug? I have Dell laptop and Windows 11 if that helps anything.

Yours sincerely Paavo

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi,

The download scan is done only to files that come through http (not https as this is encrypted traffic), which could explain why the number does not always go up.

We have done multiple improvements to the indicator visible in the main user interface. The next version will show more various statistics that the different engines have done. This should be available around May.

-Cale

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user. So, just unofficial thoughts about.

and the indicator for files scanned is missing

perhaps when a certain event happens - the 'files scanned' counter will be replaced. At least, if this is about 'statistics'. Otherwise, what did you mean by 'indicator'?

In general, I think that files are still being scanned if the real-time scanning option is enabled (regardless of whether or not the statistics counter is shown on certain UI screens). Additionally, there may be improvements in this area in future versions.

I also downloaded a few files today but the ticker for downloads scanned didn't go any higher

There may be some delay between changes. Also, perhaps this 'ticker' is pinned to certain rules or limitations. For example, only supported browsers or 'protocols', or from unsecured connection like http. Only certain file types (dangerous ones, for example) or something like that. For example, my own experience is about "one file" - but I surely downloaded a bit more than one. However, I think neither was an executable file.

You could read about statistics counters there: Viewing the protection statistics | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides // This description does not exactly match my experience, but it is possible that some "conditions" are not specified there. As I wrote - there may be a protocol or "unknown" files trigger (outside some whitelists). Good if someone can clarify it.

Should I be worried that I have malware/virus or is it just a miscellaneous bug?

Perhaps, this is not a reason to be concerned about. However, you always can to run Full Scan - Running a virus scan manually | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Thanks!

• Geralt7
    Geralt7 Posts: 3 New Member

Hello and thanks for your answer @Ukko !

By the indicator I mean the calculator for totsl amount of files scanned background. In the picture there is the downloaded files scanned and there should be a similar one on the right for files scanned. That is the thing I'm wondering.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response!

By the indicator I mean the calculator for totsl amount of files scanned background. In the picture there is the downloaded files scanned and there should be a similar one on the right for files scanned. That is the thing I'm wondering.

I see.

I think that in your situation - this particular counter / ticker / indicator has been replaced with "downloaded files scanned / verified". I am currently with beta build and there are some changes in this area. But as I remember - 'files scanned' indicator was visible only until more 'high priority' statistics appearance. Not sure of reasons, though.

There also was discussion: Is F-secure SAFE still searching even — F-Secure Community (maybe related to the subject).

But, anyway, absence of a particular indicator is more likely a miscellaneous bug, than impact from malicious activities in your system. But it also might not be a bug.

In general, you could 'safely' check your protection (that all is functioning) by check cases from EICAR (Download Anti Malware Testfile – Eicar) or AMTSO (AMTSO Security Features Check Tools - AMTSO).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info