Exporting Passwords in Readable Format

Weegie_Builder123
Weegie_Builder123 Posts: 1 Observer
edited December 2021 in F-Secure ID Protection

I have tied exporting passwords from ID protection on my mac. I get a .fsk file that when opened as rtf reds like a long uninterrupted string of text. Is there any way to export or convert the expected tsk file into something more readable like .csv?

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Dear @Weegie_Builder123 ,

Exported passwords are stored in a plain text, try opening the .fsk file in a notepad app.

I've just tested that and can open it with any plain text reader/editor.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Maybe I just can to add that, .fsk file is about plain text in JSON-like view probably. So, a kind of readable - but not surely formatted for a proper understanding. At least, with Windows platform.

• B0bski
    B0bski Posts: 1 New Member

I have a .FSK file but it is not readable as a plain text file although it states the following....

'Note: When you export your Vault data, the file is exported as plain text and can, therefore, be read easily by others. If you need to store this file, store it where it cannot be easily accessed or damaged. Also, remember to delete the file once you have transferred the data.'

In an email I received They stated you can only import back into ID....What's the point of that?!

Looks like Ill manually transfer details instead....Other applications a re far cheaper for what I want.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions). So, only my own opinion.

I have a .FSK file but it is not readable as a plain text file although it states the following....

I think the difference in understanding is as follows:

• quoted note implies that the exported file contains unencrypted passwords (text). So, plain text and can be read easily (despite the fact that the "text" as such is unformatted for easy reading). Thus, not only the exported file is not encrypted or protected by password, but also the contents in it. Also, file extension is .fsk (therefore it is not the default for text editors or any other application that can open such files) still can be opened easily anyway.
    • others might think that there should be a file with easy-to-read text to himself.

In an email I received They stated you can only import back into ID....What's the point of that?!

For example, reinstallation or any troubleshooting. In addition, at the time of F-Secure KEY (F-Secure ID Protection partially based on it) - it was possible to use FREE version with no syncing functionality. So, the only way to transfer your data from one machine to another (from old to fresh one; or from broken one) was export / import way. And so on.

About the other part of meanings:

In fact, other (third-party) Password Managers (and similar solutions) can add support for Import from the F-Secure solution to their capabilities. But this is their own desire to do so or not. As such, ".fsk" - JSON-like text. So can be a fairly standard thing and is not a huge trouble to support by third party solution (probably).

Perhaps it was understood that the main purpose of the export / import functionality is for your own product directly. However, others can try to support import from another solutions. F-Secure ID Protection exported file, it seems, did not create any special barriers for this.

Sorry for my English.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info