fshoster64.exe accesses onedrive

Doppelganger
Doppelganger Posts: 4 New Member
edited January 2022 in F-Secure Internet Security

Hello:

I'm use the Spectrum F-Secure security suite and received a security warning that fshoster.exe was accessing onedrive on my windows 10 computer.

The warning asked me to either trust or block such access. Being unfamiliar with this program, I did nothing except come

here to ask for advice.

Thank you for your time and help.

Regards,

Doppelganger

Accepted Answer

Answer ✓

Hi @Doppelganger

fshoster64.exe contains the main scanning logic. It will scan the files after they are opened by any other software, so it's expected that it needs to access everything.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Answers

• Doppelganger

One day after getting the above warning, Advanced System Care notified me that fshoster64.exe (a component of the Charter/F-Secure Secutity Suite) was accessing browsing data. Again, I did not respond to the warning to trust or block said file.

I also ran VirusTotal on the file with the result that only one (SecureAge Apex) AV program detected it as malicious. Anyway, that is the latest update.

Doppelganger

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @Doppelganger

Thank you for contacting us here.

You are using a customized version of our product so ideally, you need to be in touch with your provider, Spectrum. They have all the technical resources, provide you the responses and contact the right party if need be.

• Doppelganger

Hello Jaims:

I appreciate your reply. My first call to Spectrum (which absorbed Charter and still labels some of their product under that legacy designation) did not encounter a knowledgeable person. In fact, I was redirected to F-Secure. I will try Spectrum again and hope to find a more informed person willing to discuss the issue.

You will understand I am not going to get anywhere going in a circle where the first party doesn't answer and directs me to a second party whose answer is to consult the first party.

In the meantime, can you kindly tell me what the function of fshoster64.exe is in your products and whether that function would have it accessing browsing data and OneDrive? Perhaps that will enable me to start a useful conversation with Spectrum.

Thank you for your kind consideration and help.

Regards,

Doppelganger

• Doppelganger

Hello Ville:

Thank you very much. All I wanted to know is whether that was ordinary or anomalous

behavior deserving further inquiry. You solved that question for me.

Regards,

Doppelganger

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info