How do I remove malware/virus from a PST file?

ship69
ship69 Posts: 2 New Member
edited November 2021 in F-Secure Internet Security

Hello

Every time I get a desktop search application to re-index my old .PST files (from my archived Outlook email) , I get loads of error message from F-secure. How can I identify and remove the relevant emails?

With thanks

J

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solution).

There is probably no easy way to do so. However, there is an article about Business products: How to find and delete infected emails in Outlook PST data files - F-Secure Community

Maybe such a design can be applied to Home F-Secure SAFE. Quite likely too, so you could try this - if you are confident in the steps described. You can also try looking in other articles for home solutions (by brief search around - I did find only that one in business part of KBs).

Otherwise, you can try to contact official F-Secure Support for assistance. For example, web-chat: Contact F-Secure support | F-Secure

Alternative ways are discussed there: How to find which mailbox is infected — F-Secure Community and some other related topics.

Thanks!

• ship69
    ship69 Posts: 2 New Member

It was very strange. I implemented all the changes to Regedit that were described in your link: ("How to find and delete infected emails in Outlook PST data files - F-Secure Community")

However, although F-Secure seemed to spend a long time scanning each of the first three .PST files that I got it to manually scan (using a right-click on the .PST file)... suddenly it started scanning any of my .PST files in about 1 second flat! So clearly it was no longer doing full scan of the emails within each .PST file.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my late response to your reply.

It was very strange. I implemented all the changes to Regedit that were described in your link: ("How to find and delete infected emails in Outlook PST data files - F-Secure Community")

So, maybe this article didn't really apply to home solutions (as I explained, this is about business solutions, but the core can be generic). Or not applied to current F-Secure SAFE builds.

suddenly it started scanning any of my .PST files in about 1 second flat! So clearly it was no longer doing full scan of the emails within each .PST file.

Could you check other UI options? For example, these ones: Running a virus scan manually | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides (""Scan only file types that commonly contain harmful code"" / ""Scan inside compressed files"").

Also, was it about only .PST files? or for any? Did you restart services or system reboot?

Anyway, if you are still in trouble - good to contact their official Support channels for assistance. For example, web-chat: Contact F-Secure support | F-Secure

They can provide remote help and to advice / check current state of device or F-Secure SAFE configuration.

Thanks!

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Would this be of any use? I've not tried it myself, just found it by Googling:

Wondered if you might be able to open the PST files and scan the emails individually?

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info