Fix the keyboard focus flaw when opening Key

TeroH
TeroH Posts: 18 Enthusiast

When opening the Key app in MacOS, the windows opens behind the active window. Also, the master password field has no keyboard focus, but requires a mouse click in it. This has happened several times, I open the Key, then proceed to typing the master password only to find out the password went somewhere else. In my opinion this both a usability and a security flaw, and it has been for years.

Also, consider improving usability without mouse so that the users could proceed from opening the Key to the search field and from there to copying the password with keyboard input only. Currently the workflow stops in the search field. Yes, the password field in web pages may have the key icon in there, but in many cases it's not there.

0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• TeroH

After a year I still feel that the keyboard focus issue is a flaw that needs fixing. I keep typing my master password in wrong places because of this, possibly causing a leak. This flaw was inherited from Key to ID Protection.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

@TeroH

When I open ID Protection on my Windows 10 computer, I can immediately start typing my master password.

I can see this flashing indicator as on the picture below.

Also, consider improving usability without mouse so that the users could proceed from opening the Key to the search field and from there to copying the password with keyboard input only.

My flow is (without mouse) as follow:

1. I press Windows key on my keyboard
    2. I type "id"
    3. I press Enter
    4. F-Secure ID Protection opens
    5. I type my master password on my keyboard and press Enter again

• TeroH

In Mac it's not the same. There's no cursor when I open the ID Protection. If I click the ID Protection window bar to gain focus for that window, the cursor won't appear. I need to activate the password field manually.

After opening the ID Protection, I could go and click Alt-Tab a few times to bring it in front, but that's a cumbersome workaround. Sometimes when clicking the master password field, the cursor won't appear despite having active keyboard focus.

The issue persists for the latest ID Protection as of this date.

However, there is no keyboard focus issue in F-Secure Safe when opening it the same way, so it's not a Mac problem.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Dear @TeroH,

In Mac it's not the same. There's no cursor when I open the ID Protection.

Strange, I'm using ID Protection on my Macbook Air M1 with Big Sur 11.4 and I can immediately see the cursor upon opening the program, no need to use touchpad or mouse whatsoever.

Maybe some other users have similar experiences and could recreate the issue you experience?

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

Feature request (fix) added to backlog.

-Cale