Chrome extension stopped working

zuuhis79
zuuhis79 Posts: 21 Explorer
edited February 2021 in F-Secure ID Protection

F-secure ID Protection chrome extension stopped working after last ID protection update. Any solutions to this? I don't want to copy/paste all passwords by hand. I reinstalled chrome extension and re-authorized it but it didn't help.

Answers

• zuuhis79

Ok, found out that if the URL in password is without http:// or https:// it doesn't work. With earlier version it worked without http:// or https://. Any chance of getting the functionality back so I don't need to change all 100+ password URLs?

• zuuhis79

I sure hope that someone from F-Secure reads these forums, because this seems to be the only way to get some support to these products.

If a fix to this bug or "feature" is not available, is there a way to downgrade to previous version?

• Arrow
    Arrow Posts: 2 Observer

Yeah, I’m really getting fed up with updates breaking functionality. Similar problems arose with various Key updates, and now with ID Protection. Browser extension is at least for me clearly the most used function. Have to seriously consider cancelling subscription and migretting to other password manager services.

Crappy updates two or three times a year are really just two much.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited February 2021

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user too.

I sure hope that someone from F-Secure reads these forums, because this seems to be the only way to get some support to these products.

I just want to suggest that maybe there is an opportunity to contact their Official Support via web-chat: Contact F-Secure support | F-Secure (f-secure.com)

At least, someday I tried to use it about F-Secure KEY concern. I also requested (ask) for some of previous builds of F-Secure KEY as an installer executable (that was successfully, but not so "old" which I need). So, it should be possible.

In addition, maybe Support Agents can suggest something or to provide additional information.

Perhaps, changes with requirement of "protocol" in URL are for something good. However, I am not sure what can be a proper way to fix this trouble. I mean, is it possible to not rollback, but to smoothly tweak it for users.

By the way, it was (maybe) always more nice to use URLs with protocol. At least, with F-Secure ID Guardian. Because otherwise address in entry card was not 'active' to open from UI. Sounds that recent builds will create (pre-defined) service entries with protocol.

Thanks!

// one small addition:

maybe if you willing to perform some workaround - then there can be something like (own ones and not wait to any fixes or so; and maybe it is bit more better than manually edit all hundred entries):

-- to export your entries;

-- open exported .fsk file with text-editor;

-- URL addresses should be with pattern like: ,"url":"

-- so, it should be possible to edit all matches of [,"url":"] to something like [,"url":"http://]

-- then to uninstall (reinstall or so) F-Secure ID Protection User Data. I mean, state when there is no any entries in your installation.

-- then to import edited .fsk file back.

The only trouble (maybe) if your list with some entries that already with protocol (if so, maybe at first it is possible 'edit' them with backward way).

The real trouble is it's not very pleasant to do this.

Sorry for my English.

• zuuhis79

I contacted support through that link, and they gave me two options to solve the problem:

1. Change your URLs
    2. Downgrade to previous version and ignore future upgrade notifications

Let's just hope they get this fixed on some future version, or at least provide some kind of automatic tool to change all URLs in to a different format.

I also noticed that the order of passwords is no longer alphabetical in new version. There was no official solution to this available at the moment.

I don't know how well that export/import works when I have same password info on multiple devices, both android and windows clients.

• zuuhis79

Just noticed I don't have the previous version on my computer because I have updated the app several times update notifications. Those earlier versions don't seem to be saved on computer or available online. So it seems the only option is to change all those URLs by hand.

• Ukko

Hello,

Sorry for my suggestions. I'll just try to come up with something as a workaround or something that could be done if there is no way to waste time on waiting a potential update (fix), and which could be done with less effort, but more results. However, nothing really clear or direct.

I also noticed that the order of passwords is no longer alphabetical in new version. There was no official solution to this available at the moment.

Perhaps, your experience was about upgrade from F-Secure KEY to F-Secure ID Protection at some point. If not - I can not feel some reason about. Maybe good to perform fresh installation of F-Secure ID Protection. Not only software itself, but "User Data" (password storage) too on device. This can be done in some different ways. But in any case, it's good to have a Backup of your entries/passwords.

I don't know how well that export/import works when I have same password info on multiple devices, both android and windows clients.

Yes. Perhaps, this will create some difficulties with syncing.

Maybe, it is possible to just resync all of them after one device will be with good design and active premium status.

Those earlier versions don't seem to be saved on computer or available online. So it seems the only option is to change all those URLs by hand.

Another (unofficial/unsupported) option is to browse web about previous build. Some websites (security portals or so) can be trusted and with "untouched" installer. However, I could not suggest any good source (it is unknown for me).

Also, I am not sure if current trouble is pinned solely to client and not to extension (which also can be with updates).

Thanks!

• zuuhis79

Because I couldn't find older version anywhere I decided to try the method you suggested. It kinda worked. Took about 2,5 hours. So the steps were:

1. Export password to file
    2. Edit the exported xml-file with notepad++ (arranged it so that every entry is on its own row for easier editing and possible error check)
    3. Delete all password entries (select entry on list -> edit -> delete -> yes -- so deleting an entry takes quite a few clicks)
    4. Import edited password list into ID Protection
    5. Notice that all old passwords synced from another device, so all passwords are now duplicated, half of the URLs are with HTTPS:// and the other half without
    6. Check which entries are unwanted and delete them (again with many clicks)
    7. Done, at least most passwords work now with autofill

Also somehow the alphabetical order of passwords were restored magically after rebooting the computer after all of the steps above.

As a proposal to F-Secure, please make an automatic tool to change settings when major changes are made to password entry requirements. Although I suspect that no one from F-Secure is reading these forums. Basically their customer support is pretty much useless in solving their self-inflicted problems.

• zuuhis79

As a side note, I would not recommend this method to most users, you should at least know how xml-files are constructed and be comfortable editing settings on file manually knowing that making errors might make the entire file useless and cause the loss of all your passwords.

• Ukko
    edited February 2021

Hello,

It's good if you managed to achieve a more or less acceptable result.

I just want to write that you have in a sense combined what was suggested by me. I mean, what I was trying to suggest - because were completely incomprehensible sentences (sorry for that and sorry for my English). And it is possible that some of the steps could have been easier.

I will try to point out them.

Step Two: Edit the exported xml-file with notepad++ (arranged it so that every entry is on its own row for easier editing and possible error check)

Maybe exported file was ".fsk" and it is text-file (json format probably). So, it should be possible to open just with Windows Notepad. But, indeed, it will be not so clear picture (I mean just lines of text).

However, even with Notepad it is possible to perform replacement of characters (what I suggested about pieces like quote from one of previous replies: "it should be possible to edit all matches of [,"url":"] to something like [,"url":"http://]; with potential workaround if some of them already with protocol to avoid double protocol).

Even all matches by one click (but, possible one by one. To check that all is right. So, just click with prepared replacement).

Step Three: Delete all password entries (select entry on list -> edit -> delete -> yes -- so deleting an entry takes quite a few clicks)

I tried to suggest something like:

Where is mention of "F-Secure ID Guardian : User Data". By removing it - F-Secure ID Protection installation as a clean one. However, this mention can be outdated.

So, another way is to F-Secure Uninstallation Tool (probably);

To run it and to check option "Choose what to delete". Then, check if "User Data" is found there. Otherwise, manually to remove / delete storage-file. But I am not sure what is design with F-Secure ID Protection about it.

So, deleting them manually from interface indeed is a bit tedious. However, not so tedious how to edit entry(?!).

Step FOUR: Import edited password list into ID Protection

Step FIVE: Notice that all old passwords synced from another device, so all passwords are now duplicated, half of the URLs are with HTTPS:// and the other half without

Thus, by keeping your User Data - all passwords synced back.

With my try to suggest - design is next: you run "clean" F-Secure ID Protection. And you can to import your passwords back. At this step - device is not synced with anything. But entries are "proper" probably.

So, then you can to repeat routine with another devices (or uninstall them / clean up) and then sync them with this "great" device (where all is fine).

Kind of: fix up one device situation. And then to set up everything as from scratch. To sync devices with this one.

This is quite tricky for the user anyway (and that is why I also suggested to have / save backup of entries / passwords before any own steps). Therefore, it will be really cool if the situation gets better on the F-Secure side.

Although it is not entirely clear whether they are talking about the same problem or not, there is a remark here that the situation should be fixed - https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/123710/download-older-version-of-f-secure-id-protection (however, you already noticed that. My understanding of "downgrade" - they do suggest it /if you with old installer maybe/; but they do not provide outdated builds - however I am not sure if it is so or not).

Sorry for long reply. And sorry for my English.

Thanks!

• zuuhis79

Apparently the functionality of previous version will be reverted in next version, so you don't need to add https:// or http:// prefixes to URLs. There is no info on when this will happen, so it might be a few weeks or a few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info