Is there a setting to take care of a virus?

Jack
Jack Posts: 69 Active Engager

I am running F Secure Internet Security Version V 17.9 and for the past few years every time I run the program and find a virus it does nothing with the virus, that is it does not delete it or quarantine it, just does nothing. It does allow me to go to an online page where it shows me where the virus is located on my desktop. I then have to use another security program (Malwarebytes) to quarantine the virus. Something's wrong and I don't know how to fix it. Is there a setting somewhere that will cause the program to delete or quarantine a virus that it finds? I have looked all over the program and can't find anything. If you give me advice, please make it step by step. I am 76 years old and know little about computers. Don't just say "turn on the switch," tell me how to find it and what to do with it

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user. And I will try not to "repeat" the previous discussion (https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/122456/internet-security-finds-a-trojan-but-will-not-clean-it).

I just want to highlight that there is an opportunity to contact official F-Secure Support (for example, web-chat):

It may be a little hard to do, but it has a lot of potential benefits. Support Agents can provide remote assistance and are certified to clarify specific points.

But a small try to suggest something:

I run the program and find a virus it does nothing with the virus, that is it does not delete it or quarantine it, just does nothing

Based on previous topics and general understanding - this can mean that the "detected" file is not available for modification (safe deletion or other such). Otherwise, F-Secure Internet Security should provide an option to delete or quarantine it. So, file is skipped. It also can be that file is not a virus, but other sort of "dangerous" or "suspicious" threat.

I then have to use another security program (Malwarebytes) to quarantine the virus. Something's wrong and I don't know how to fix it. Is there a setting somewhere that will cause the program to delete or quarantine a virus that it finds? I have looked all over the program and can't find anything. If you give me advice, please make it step by step.

So, F-Secure Internet Security with pre-defined rule for decision when malicious files encountered. Otherwise, it ask you with clear prompt.

There is no such settings to choose action when found a virus. It is chosen by default to clean/remove/quarantine/block/skip based on a certain situation.

Probably, the design is: if possible, then to clean up file; if not possible to clean - quarantine it; if not possible to quarantine or something else - delete it; In addition, can be "block" access to file (then file is still there).

For example, also it can be that detected item is not removed, is not quarantine and is not cleaned. One situation is when item is inside archive (zipped). Such archive can be with much more files. So, F-Secure only informs about. And if you do not want this entire container - you can manually delete this file. Why with you experience - Malwarebytes was able to sort out situation - I am not sure. Maybe it was not archive or their core with such possibilities.

To tell exactly, need to know where the file was found, what the detection was called, and so on.

Sorry for my clumsy suggestions. Sorry for my English.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info