Block Discord chat service

Hi

My son is using a chat website called Discord and I need to bloack it. Discord is not linked to a particular server and so is not possible to block on Microsoft family safe. Is it possible to block Discord using F-secure please?

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

My son is using a chat website called Discord and I need to bloack it. Discord is not linked to a particular server and so is not possible to block on Microsoft family safe. Is it possible to block Discord using F-secure please?

Based on mention of "Microsoft family safe" - your experience is about Windows device.

If so, F-Secure SAFE with some ways to be helpful (however, more like a workaround probably). So,

• at first, there should be a standard user account (not about administration rights). Otherwise, he can to overwrite most of restrictions and allow restricted  actions. So, keep the Administrator account on this device for yourself. And another account to common use with restricted rights.
    • then, F-Secure SAFE with Parental Control functionality. Where it is possible to choose categories to block. The mentioned "Discord" is probably rated as Social media. Thus, when choosing this category, access to all sites rated as Social Media will be blocked / limited. But you still can allow specific websites locally. Which may not be very convenient.
    • instead, it is possible to block specific websites (maybe IPs too), domains locally. For example, "discord.com".

Described flow:

However, I am not sure how Discord works and why it is not possible to use Windows functionality (I assume that this is also powerful).

In general, by blocking (deny list) entry point access to service should be restricted.

If chat service is accessed by a certain URL/website - then blocking access to that site can be enough. Instead of service page - there will be blockpage by F-Secure. However, there can be some limitations and exclusions.

Another option is, maybe, to use your Router(?) functionality. Some models with built-in feature to limit access to certain domains. Works for all devices connected to router (if there are not available advanced options).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info