FS ID Guardian install options

Is there a way to modify the installation?

Mine was so fast with defaults and I did not see any options. I should have liked to change the install path and the device name.

This way I'll end up with five My WIndows PC's

Is there a way to change the device name after install other than uninstall and reinstall?

Accepted Answer

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. Just as a discussion between users.

Actually, you could create kind of report/ticket under beta portal about "device name"/id situation.

For example, my own experience was about no any ask for device name. And I did not find an option under My FS Protection portal to change it from generic "Windows PC". So, I thought that it is impossible. But your reply with sentence:

Is there a way to change the device name after install other than uninstall and reinstall?

Is it possible by uninstall/reinstall?

And what about:

Is there a way to modify the installation?

My experience was not about too fast installation. Mostly based on compatibility check and autoremoving F-Secure KEY. However, installer view was as for general FS Protection/SAFE . So, perhaps situation as with their installers. Limited possibilities (if still/or exist for home solutions) for custom path. By changing default path - did you want make it more portable or something critical?

Thanks!

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Thank you for your reply https://community.f-secure.com/en/profile/Ukko

The reason why I did not create a report/ticket was that it works and I wanted to know. It may be different from the GA product and user expectations as it is beta.

I did not have FS Key installed.

I have not tried uninstall/reinstall to see if I was just too fast in passing the options. Too much hassle.

I can still try that on another device.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited October 2020

Hello,

I mean - this is OK topic and discussion!  But in addition to that - you can also create a report/ticket about device-name/id subject.  Because  I think current situation with generic "Windows PC" is as how it works - however it is not really useful partially. My experience is only about one device yet - but your one experience is about multiple devices based on:

This way I'll end up with five My WIndows PC's

So, after installations there five generic "Windows PC" - maybe it is expected design, but as I remember there was not any timestamp of installation (as with fs protection) - so you can not, perhaps, identify them to remove/release license from portal. Thus, it is possible to suspect that OR device-name is not gathering during installation; or just entire option is not available; in addition no option to 'custom' name under web portal.

What about installation flow - there (as I remember) only an ability to change language and maybe confirm Terms agreements. :) Other than that - maybe it is possible to custom installation via command line prompts/keys (I did not try it, but there was some instructions about it for home and mostly for business solutions).

Thanks!

• martink

Thank you https://community.f-secure.com/en/profile/Cale

Simple is good to some extend, but it is also good to keep OS, progs, temp files and data on separate partitions or rives for easier mainenance and less need for defragmentation

• martink

Luckily the device names are indexed if you install on the same type of device. You just have to keep a record which is which.

Curious about the install path. In the GA product FS ID Protection the install path can be changed.

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

From beta 8 onwards, you can now rename the device during installation. Unfortunately, the portal is not going to support renaming any time soon, so you are basically stuck with the name unless you re-install it.

-Cale

• martink

Thanks.

So it is version 5.0 beta 8 - right?

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager