FS ID Guardian Supported browsers

martink
martink Posts: 427 Influencer
edited October 2020 in Home Security Beta Programs

What are the supported browsers?

In the GUI you see only Chrome and Firefox.

Apparently browsers that use Chrome of Firefox extensions work, but are they supported?

Like FF portable and Brave can have the extension manually added What about

DuckduckGo?

Accepted Answer

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Perhaps, only Google Chrome and Firefox are supported for autofill(?) extension.

There was a topic about stable F-Secure ID Protection and Microsoft Edge: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/122999/how-to-add-id-protection-to-microsoft-edge#latest

So, there is no official support yet. But probably it will be.

Apparently browsers that use Chrome of Firefox extensions work, but are they supported? Like FF portable and Brave can have the extension manually added What about

But since of browsers like Microsoft Edge (chromium), other browsers with support for extensions from Google Store(?) or certain structure and manual import - maybe it is possible to check by its own and maybe found some incompatibilities. I think they are not supported, but browsers do support the user's ability to use the unstable extension by own choice.

By another wording - most likely extension will work (however there may be some troubles/difficulties. Although they may also be in supported browsers :) ) . But officially, extensions are only supported in two browsers for the current day.

Thanks!

• martink

Thank you for your reply https://community.f-secure.com/en/profile/Ukko

I'd rather expect to see the list of supported browsers somewhere on the product pages and not in a discussion thread in the community. For IS Tp there is usually a list of new and revised items at the top of a discussion thread. That would be minimum.

Have not yet tried the automatic f ill in of ID password with Brave.

Just a note that in order to get the extension to Firefox portable the extension has to be manually added just like in Brave.

At least in Firefox portable the ID and password was automatically filled in.

Still a bit uncertain about the URL. In many cases the launch page directs the user to a login page which is different. So I am wondering which URL to save in ID Guardian.

• Ukko

Hello,

Yes, something as clearly visible information is always good.

However, I think the situation with supported browsers is explained somewhere. For example, user guide for stable F-Secure ID Protection: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/id-protection-windows/latest/en/task_93A144A4175D43AAA43CEDCD27634A0C-latest-en

with words that Chrome, Edge and Firefox are supported. With instruction to install extension.

Just a note that in order to get the extension to Firefox portable the extension has to be manually added just like in Brave.

Perhaps it should be so. Since it is not possible (?) to find out that there is a portable installation of browser. Where it is located and so on. So, it is tricky to automatically install (or even impossible) extension to portable version of browser software.

Still a bit uncertain about the URL. In many cases the launch page directs the user to a login page which is different. So I am wondering which URL to save in ID Guardian.

I do not use autofill functionality actually. But I think the URL is 'main domain'. Perhaps, it can be altering with multiple subdomains/pages of main domain and its services (for example, google.dk vs mail.google.dk OR anotherservice.google.dk) and if so … well, perhaps URL from login page. There is a guide for stable version:

https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/id-protection-windows/latest/en/id_80643-latest-en

Thanks!

• martink

Thanks https://community.f-secure.com/en/profile/Cale

It works with with Brave. Unfortunately the extensions are not used in the private mode of Brave. (In Firefox they are)

So it is for browsers only and not eg email clients like Thunderbird.

• Ukko

Hello,

It works with with Brave. Unfortunately the extensions are not used in the private mode of Brave. (In Firefox they are)

With some browsers (at least, my experience is about Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge.. perhaps Chrome/Chromium) it is possible to choose option 'not to disable in Private/Incognito/so mode). Is it impossible with Brave? Could you check it via 'Extensions' part of settings where can be something like "more/details/options" under listed extensions.

Or Brave private mode is about something more advanced and extended?

Thanks!

• martink

Thanks Ukko

Out of the box Brave starts is normal mode. You have to launch private mode separately or maybe you can set up Brave to start in private mode - I have not studied or tried.

So with normal mode it works with FS ID Guardian even though Brave is not officiailly supported.

• Ukko

I think it is possible to try manage the extension so that it works even with 'private' mode by tuning and adjusting options of extension. By default with most of browsers - extensions and addons are disabled in "Private/InPrivate/Incognito" and so modes. For example, with 'Chromium' browser I did manage to see option like "allow to use extension in Private mode" under addons page (and details on the extension).

But brief search about Brave browser and private functionality was about some descriptions around Tor. So, maybe actually their mode is designed with much more advanced meanings where common extensions are just not available.

Thanks!

• martink

Thank you Ukko for your input.

Whether or not the extension works with Brave is not an issue for me. Firstly I only use Brave in a limited amount. Sencondly I have it set to start where I left, so I do not have to login.

This discussion has been closed.