Family rules fails to block sites on android chrome?

It seems to me that the Family rules functions fail to work on android chrome browser. It does not stop sites with violence, explicit adult content, drugs etc. On android smartphones it just works on Safe Browser. If this is the case it is not very useful as it's impossible to uninstall Chrome from android phones. Parents needing this functionality (as me) do need it to work on mobile devices, or might have to change product. I would be a pity as we do like all the services and system performance.

Can you please advise if there's a possibility to set it correctly on Chrome ?

Many thanks

L

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user.

Probably F-Secure SAFE solution for latest Android builds only supports F-Secure SAFE Browser with this extended protection functionality. And it is recommended to use this browser for Kids profiles (actually, redirected to this browser from attempt to launch another). Previously, with legacy Android builds it was possible to use some other supported browsers (as I remember).

Does your experience is about "adult" F-Secure SAFE profile under device? Or if not and you configured F-Secure SAFE installation for Android as a child profile - does it possible to run Google Chrome? And what is your device?

In addition, despite the fact that it is impossible to uninstall - maybe it is possible to "stop/deactivate" Google Chrome (however, I did not try).

Thanks!

• LDA
    LDA Posts: 3 New Member

Hi Ukko

Many thanks for your answer. I installed all apps on my son's smartphone with a child profile, then I wanted to block all unnecessary sites. That was not enough thoughts it did not work. I had to uninstall all the apps and use my wife's anti-virus system with a competitor. I need to sort this out as I'd like to stay with F-secure; I need to find out if I can at least re-direct (how?) all web activity to Safe Browser and deactivate Chrome on my son's smartphone, or maybe there's another way to proceed.

As far as you know do F-Secure tech services help on this forum or do I need to call directly?

Thanks again

LDA

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

As far as you know do F-Secure tech services help on this forum or do I need to call directly?

Official F-Secure Community managers, moderators and support staff can provide help and support right here. But mostly as a general advice. For closer assistance and real tech support - need to contact Support directly via channels. It is not necessary to call (phone support). It is possible to use "web-chat": https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/support/contact should be visible in the right bottom corner as an invitation area (where you need to fill out some forms and if Support agents are ready - then the chat will be started). Usually, web-chat is available 24/7; but it is limited to how busy Support Agents are. If no one is available (all in touch already) - then chat is unavailable. It is possible to reload page from time to time and check whether chat is available or not. Also it is good to save  your initial text description in a text file (just in case - if something will be wrong while your are typing it).

I need to find out if I can at least re-direct (how?) all web activity to Safe Browser and deactivate Chrome on my son's smartphone, or maybe there's another way to proceed

So, in general it should be like:

• when you installing F-Secure SAFE on device (or more precisely, maybe, when you login into your account via F-Secure SAFE application to activate license/subscription on that device) - application should ask you something like "Do you install it on your device? Or to child's device"? Need to choose "child's device" and then you are prompted to set the time limits and restricted content for the device. With other things around like activation some settings for proper protection. Post-installation flow should be with clear tips and notices about process.
    • thus, F-Secure SAFE app installation will be with "child" profile. Most of actions will be restricted, for example it will be impossible to uninstall application without switching to adult profile (via application).
    • when F-Secure SAFE app with child/kids profile - then only F-Secure SAFE Browser is allowed. Tries to open another browser should lead to opening Safe Browser. At least, that was the case (I do not remember if there were changes about).

What about Google Chrome. Perhaps, to tap and hold its logo (or to open Settings where applications listed) and to choose information-button for opening "About app" where can be buttons like "stop"/"uninstall"/"disable". However, I think it can be not necessary when F-Secure SAFE operating right.

By the way, what is your device or Android version? Recent ones can be with built-in Parental Control functionality options and settings which are quite friendly and useful.

Thanks!

• LDA
    LDA Posts: 3 New Member

Thanks a lot Ukko, shall give it a try

cheers

LDA

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info