My IP adress was banned - what to do?

Sean22
Sean22 Posts: 2 New Member

Recently, i was banned on some forum, because i broke some rules. I didnt do it on purpose. I didnt know I was doing something wrong, because i didnt read the rules. I know, that its my false, but now i know what i did wrong. That ban is not something that would mind me so much though. What really minds me is that they also ban me on more sites on which i didnt break any rules.

How long the ban will last? What would i do to get rid of that? How can i unban my IP adress? Should i write to administrator of the forum? I was banned on my notebook and cant connect on these sites even with other devices. I connect to wifi via router. Could i reset it somehow to get new IP adress?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure Community user, so just my own unofficial feelings and thoughts.

What really minds me is that they also ban me on more sites on which i didnt break any rules.

Perhaps, not. It is sounds a bit fantastic to be so.

If situation is something like that: your user account (registered user?!) was banned on one certain forum. Banned is pinned to your IP as prevention from creating another account or to create a reply(?!). I can not see any reason why you should be banned somewhere else. However, it is possible that your IP(?) can be shared between websites via known blacklists/stoplists/blocklists lists as spammers/fraud or so activity, for example.

How long the ban will last? What would i do to get rid of that? How can i unban my IP adress? Should i write to administrator of the forum? I was banned on my notebook and cant connect on these sites even with other devices. I connect to wifi via router. Could i reset it somehow to get new IP adress?

What is actual ban there? Is it indeed pinned to one forum? Or there is a blockpage with something about your IP? Maybe it was not a ban? But something as prevention via other layers (cloudflare or something like that)? I think you can start from ask to administrator of the forum.

Thanks!

• Sean22
    Sean22 Posts: 2 New Member

Hello,

I already wrote to administrator. He didnt answer. I also checked if my ip address is blacklisted. It founded out that im blacklisted on one server: dnsbl.spfbl.net you can look on it. I clicked on contact us and there were common answers. One of them was: why i cant visit some website when im blacklisted? and answer was that they dont block access to other webistes. It is actually site that marks people as spammers and marks their sent emails as spam. I also forgot to mention that the sites where my ip address was blocked told me that im banned, because ive been marked as spammer. The reason they banned was related with spam, but not with email. I dont know what it means. Can i check somewhere my current bans?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

So, based on 'dnsbl' subdomain of provided resource - your IP is indeed somewhat blacklisted. Perhaps, since of spam (intentionally or if your system was with malicious software; or by mistake; or wrongly - for example, if your IP is somewhat dynamic and received from your ISP after someday 'bad' user). Actually, you can read about these lists there:

I also forgot to mention that the sites where my ip address was blocked told me that im banned, because ive been marked as spammer. The reason they banned was related with spam, but not with email. I dont know what it means. Can i check somewhere my current bans?

I think meanings are next:

• Administrators of site/forum with usage these lists as prevention against spam. So, they do use the list where your IP was added and blacklisted. So, perhaps, banned automatically.
    • I am not sure if you can check 'bans' on certain websites. Only to check whether your IP is marked as 'bad'.

Maybe your can to contact your internet service provider and to request IP address. Another opportunity is to contact this "lists" (as URL from your reply) and to check how to whitelist IP.

Thanks!

• marcus8M
    marcus8M Posts: 1 Observer
    edited June 2020

Ukko, thanks for explanation. Yep, it happens all the same with VPN IP addresses.

• JamesMiller
    JamesMiller Posts: 3 Observer

Hi.

An administrator can't ban you on other sites except his own. Probably he banned your IP address, so it appears in a blacklist of other websites.

If your account is banned from a forum or game, you'll have to abide by their rules and understand what you're violating. So you may try to contact the service provider and regain access to the service. You can also:

• Clear Cache - since some apps detect user account by reading cookie data. You may be able to regain application access after clearing a browser cache.
    • Create a new account

If your IP is banned, and you need and urgent access and can't wait for administrator's answer, you can:

• Change your IP address
    • Use VPN
    • Use a proxy server

Hope it was helpful.

Best regards,

James.

My Flickr

My website

Myspace

This discussion has been closed.