My child can ignore Family Rules

I have Family Rules setup for one of my children.

When his time runs out there is a popup message (I havent seen the exact content of the message).

He just clicks on a button (something like 'another 5 mins') and keeps using his laptop. I think he keeps doing this every time the box appears.

What is the point of a time limit if he can do this?

How do I prevent him from being able to do this?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

If your experience is about Windows platform, then I could to suggest something.

When his time runs out there is a popup message (I havent seen the exact content of the message).

Usually, there are three reminder prompts (ten minutes, five minutes and one minute before limits end). These prompts with button (an ability) to extend time.

When limits is reached out - then there is a blockpage. Actually, this Lockpage with limited ways to bypass it. Lockpage with buttons to end session or to extend time.

He just clicks on a button (something like 'another 5 mins') and keeps using his laptop. I think he keeps doing this every time the box appears.

It should be possible to do only if account with Administration rights.

What is the point of a time limit if he can do this?

How do I prevent him from being able to do this?

The point is to restrict "normal" users (kids) and to allow "Administrators" (parents) to extend time when needed.

In general, when "prompt" is there (or lockpage) - try to add more time (some minutes or an hour) comes with UAC prompt (administrative rights elevation). Then need to type password (or so) of administrator's account.

If user with administration rights (type of account) - then he can to add more time by its own.

You can to check situation by using laptop - open F-Secure SAFE user interface and switch to "Family Rules" (Parental Control or so) tab. If there is a 'remark' with notification about - then this user account with Administrator type.  If so - you could try to change this type to "normal" user (type).

Some Knowledgebase articles about:

General state:

About MacOS:

With Windows installation - there should be 'hints' under user interface if account with administrative rights.

Good if you will back with feedback for proper help and understanding! Sorry for my English!

Thanks!

• PhilGP
    PhilGP Posts: 8 Explorer

My childs account is the only one on the laptop (I suspect many people have the same setup) so he will be administrator.

So I need to add another account (myself as admin) and then change my son's account type.

I can understand the need for this but I am also frustrated. 

I thought the need for a password to set the config would be enough.

I'll do this and report back.

• ComputerPecan
    ComputerPecan Posts: 1 New Member

KFC Survey wrote:

Hello,

My childs account is the only one on the laptop (I suspect many people have the same setup) so he will be administrator.

Perhaps so, indeed.

And it should be OK if restrictions are not intended.

So I need to add another account (myself as admin) and then change my son's account type.
    I can understand the need for this but I am also frustrated. 

Yes. Actually, I also can to understand why this is a reason for frustration.

But, in general, to use "normal" user account (instead of "admin" type account) is recommended for most of users. So, "admin" type account if for some specific tasks (and for rights elevations) and "normal" type account for daily system user. This point of view is recommended as a 'security' improvement.

With some situations it can be useful against malicious tricks and tries. And, in general, not so many reasons to use 'admin' account when it is possible to use 'normal' account and to approve Administrator-rights tasks on demand.

I thought the need for a password to set the config would be enough.

If it is about potential design when 'settings' (or changes) are protected by password (on F-Secure side) - then it is not implemented with current F-Secure SAFE.

Actually, with "expected" (recommended) way to use solution and Parental Control (Family Rules) - admin type account (and its password) should be this one protection layer for changing settings.

In addition, if user with Administrator rights and settings are only protected by 'solution'-based password - then user can to uninstall solution or even to manually delete files. Or to break system/protection by some violence steps. Perhaps, Windows guidelines for software with some limitations that will not allow protect 'software' against Administrators (if he want to kill / stop process, delete files, uninstall solution, change settings by some way or something else).

Thanks!

The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents…Great job, keep it up

• Charles53
    Charles53 Posts: 1 New Member

Humans interact with their children in a variety of ways. Authoritarian parents tend to lay down the law and mete out harsh punishments, while permissive parents set few or no limits.

• PhilGP

Today I got the chance to add an admin account to the laptop. No problem. I now have a new account. So I went to control panel to remove the admin permission of my childs account and it is no longer there. There is only one account on the laptop now.

And there is no way to login as another user.

This is a little bit annoying now.

• PhilGP
    why is this post showing as 'Solved' - it certainly isn't solved.
  • PhilGP

I screwed up - I actually changed his account to a local account instead of adding a new one.

This has caused a new problem.

I changed his account back to a Microsoft account and added my account now as Admin. Then changed my sons account to Normal.

But, although my son is a normal user, there is still a link to the local account that is an admin – he can change his account from standard to admin ☹

Everything is now updated – I just need to see what happens with F-Secure when he runs out of time.

If he’s smart, then he’ll promote himself to admin and we’re back to square one.

• Ukko

Hello,

But, although my son is a normal user, there is still a link to the local account that is an admin – he can change his account from standard to admin ☹
    Everything is now updated – I just need to see what happens with F-Secure when he runs out of time.
    If he’s smart, then he’ll promote himself to admin and we’re back to square one.

Maybe I did not understand it correctly. There is a situation where both accounts with 'no' password?

It is not needed to type password or pin-code to login into Admin account?

If so - maybe it is possible to set up password for the main account (Admin) and then for change from standard to admin will be requirement for password.

Or there is something else?

Thanks!

• PhilGP

The original user account was a Microsoft account and it was admin. Then it got changed to a local account - still admin. I then reverted it back to a Microsoft account (still admin).

I added myself as a microfost account and set myself to admin. I set my sons account to normal.
    Then I logged in using my sons account ..... I was able to change to admin .... this should not be possible. 

I mnade sure it was set to normal and rebooted. Loggged in with my sons account ... I could still switch to admin. So ... for some reason, even though his account is normal, he can still change himself to admin. This is the problem I had.

I then noticed a pending Windows 10 update (to ver 1909). After the update everything is working correctly.
    My son can no longer change his own account type. my account is still admin and I can modify his account (but I wont!).

When F-Secure runs out of time, he can click on Extend but now it needs my password to permit this.

Everything is eventually working as it should do.  I am still not sure if the problem was due to me switching account types (from MS to local and back) - OR - if the pending update to v1909 was causing some of the problem.

This issue is finally resolved!

• Ukko

Thanks for your clarification and so clear explanation!

Good that all is OK already.

Everything is eventually working as it should do.  I am still not sure if the problem was due to me switching account types (from MS to local and back) - OR - if the pending update to v1909 was causing some of the problem.

Indeed was a strange situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info