ICS unknown sources

Phone is a HTC Sensation XE, Android version 4.03, HTC Sense version 3.6

I've noticed that with F-Secure Mobile Security installed the option to manage installation of Non Market Apps is gone from the security setttings. Is this deliberate on the part of F-Secure or a bug?

If it's actually deliberate I would class this as a bad choice as users no longer know if the blocking of non market apps is running or not.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi, we haven't tested the compability of that specific device yet. I checked with Samsung S2 ICS 4.03 and the setting was still available normally under Device Administration. I've requested our R&D to test this device as soon as possible.

• A_Don
    A_Don Posts: 6

Cool.

A quick google shows up that some users of the HTC Velocity are also having the same problem after upgrading to ICS. 

• A_Don
    Just to give an update. I carried out a factory reset and left everything at the default once the phone had finished restarting. Checked to see if Device Administration was available which it was, and then downloaded a fresh copy of the F-Secure Mobile Security v7.6. Installed the app which obviously meant allowing unknown sources but upon completion of that when given the option of the app or going back to the home screen of the phone I selected the latter. Checked to see if the Device Administration option was available, which it was, and disabled unknown sources. Opened up the Mobile Security to set it up; once finished I went back into the settings to find that Device Administration had gone.
  • [Deleted User]

Thanks, I've sent that info to our R&D. They will test it further as soon as possible.

• A_Don

Good to hear that.

• firionicable
    firionicable Posts: 24 Explorer

Does the security settings depend on what type of phone you are using? I have tried F-Secure on most of the devices I use and get the same settings available.image

• [Deleted User]

Yes, that seems to be the case.. Can you post a list of the devices that you have tested?

• A_Don
    An OTA settings update notification appeared on my phone today; I installed and lo and behold Device Administration is back. Looks like either google and/or HTC were aware of the problem or they were fixing another bug and it just happened to fix this one as well.
  • [Deleted User]

Thanks for the update A_Don.

• A_Don

I've had a quick look through the settings and the only other change I noticed was spelling corrections for the Airplane, Aeroplane, Aeroplan setting. Fixing that alone would be less than the 15MB of the update!

• klauzser
    klauzser Posts: 32 Observer

I may say that you can skip it for a while and spend the storage amount somewhere much useful. image

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info