BBC now blocking iPlayer access to Freedome users

Fiona1970
Fiona1970 Posts: 5 New Member

BBC IPlayer is now blocking my VPN freedom F app.  I am based in Cyprus area which is classed as th U.K. with th RAF.  any clues or help how I can get round it and get BBC iPlayer working again ?

Thank you 

Comments

• Sethu
    Sethu Posts: 687 Forum Champion

Hello @Fiona1970

Have you tried to clear the browser caches and restart the device?

Just to make sure with the feature, could you please try disabling one by one tracking protection and browser protection on your Freedome? if issue remain, may I ask you try re-install the Freedome and check agian?

• tml
    tml Posts: 5 New Member

Me too. Worked fine for several months (I did not use it constantly, but now and then), but yesterday no longer. (I am based in Finland, in case it matters.) Time for F-Secure to move to another server provider for the UK VPN endpoint? 

• tml
    (And this is on macOS, in case it matters. And yes, I tried removing the website data for bbc.com and bbc.co.uk.)
  • tml
    AH, now iPlayer allows me to watch again. Thanks, in case you did somethingSmiley Wink Or maybe there just is some randomness involved.
  • tml
    FWIW, it now when it works again, it uses the "DATASIX Rechenzentrumsbetriebs GmbH" IP addresses.
  • Sethu
    Sethu Posts: 687 Forum Champion

Hello @tml

Glad to know the issue has now been resolved and our deepest apologies for the trouble you had to experience with Freedome. You could also check the dns leak test. When your Freedome ON, go to https://www.dnsleaktest.com/. The homepage should show your current location as being in the UK. Click on the “Extended Test” button and wait for the process to complete. The returned IP address(es) should also be shown as being in the UK. If they’re not, you have a DNS leak and are easily detectable by the BBC as being abroad.

• vpnuser
    vpnuser Posts: 3 Observer

BBC iPlayer won't play any content due "my location". Dnsleaktest says I'm from Germany when I choose UK London from freedome location.

• monni
    monni Posts: 2 New Member

Does it stream HD or SD?

• Fiona1970

I posted the original question and I’ve looked at other peoples replies and I’ve done what you have suggested which is disabled tracking disable protection and then install and it does still passed me this is a mini okay so I’m not a techie so can you give me step-by-step how to do this DNS leak thing is I don’t understand how to do it is it is but I will have to do to make it work as I as have paid for a years subscription and I expect it to the things I need it to do cheers 😳

• Fiona1970

posted the original question and I’ve looked at other peoples replies and I’ve done what you have suggested which is disabled tracking disable protection and then install and it does still passed me this is a mini okay so I’m not a techie so can you give me step-by-step how to do this DNS leak thing is I don’t understand how to do it is it is but I will have to do to make it work as I as have paid for a years subscription and I expect it to the things I need it to do cheers 😳

• Fiona1970
    Mine too on th dns leak test
  • Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Everyone,

I found this old post about Freedome and BBC iPlayer. As mentioned in the BBC iPlayer Help page, if they detect that you might be using a VPN, you'll be unable to play programmes.

• tml

As mentioned in the BBC iPlayer Help page, if they detect that you might be using a VPN, you'll be unable to play programmes.

Well, d'oh, we know that, surely.

• Fiona1970

There is no need to be rude.  Some of us it’s not as straight forward as that

• CK8
    CK8 Posts: 1 New Member

I am aware that the BBC uses complex algorithims to block access and it can be difficult for VPN service providers to keep up.

However, some VPN providers (such as NordVPN) guarantee iPlayer access and have always managed to enable access- even if they are temporarily blocked they solve the problem.

Access to BBC iPlayer is a very big factor in me choosing Freedome.  If this continues to be blocked then I am unlikey to remaina customer as Freedome certainly isn't the cheapest VPN solution.

Therefore could a forum moderator / staff memeber conform that F-Secure will always try to guarantee access to iplayer where a technical solution exists ?  In this case, there is clearly a technical soultion as NordVPN allows access !

Thanks.

• anniv
    anniv Posts: 1 Observer

Not any longer. Just noticed that I’m blocked, worked just fine a week ago. 

• vpnuser
    vpnuser Posts: 3 Observer

No problems here. Dnsleaktest shows United Kingdom as well 

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info