ip connections

Please tell me if i am crazy but i have noticed my pc is connection to so many ip addresses all over the world that i have become very suspicious. Most appear to be Microsoft Apple and the like but what are they doing with 10 permanent connections. Can F-Secure block all connections except when someone specically asks to make a connection. thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Most appear to be Microsoft Apple and the like but what are they doing with 10 permanent connections. Can F-Secure block all connections except when someone specically asks to make a connection. thanks for any feedback

Maybe good to know more information about your situation:

-> does it pinned to one certain system / device?

-> does your experience is about certain F-Secure solution (as F-Secure SAFE, for example)?

I think that if your exerience is about Windows-platform:

-> some ?!permanent connections are normal. but good to check them one by one.

For example, by search domains or IPs; or by Support Request to Microsoft (about their addresses).

Likely that there are some background services or processes with requirements for such connections.

-> maybe it is possible to block them by Windows Firewall rules.

F-Secure SAFE firewall feature is 'extended' Windows Firewall; while all common things are still pinned to Windows Firewall interface - possible to use it for creating own rules.

Also, I think that it is possible to configure Windows Firewall for block all connections (for except 'allowed'-once or by whitelisted applications) - but it is how firewall is works already(?!) by default. For something like 'allowing' per request/connection-attempt - maybe third-party extension for system firewall is needed.

Another option for block unwanted connections is F-Secure "List of allowed and denied web sites" (as ability to block domain or IP). But it is not a solution for all kinds of connections

And if such connections are important - to block them is dangerous.

Good if someone more experience will reply about subject!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info