How to add a URL or file/directory (locally) exception to SAFE?

I have files and old games that generate false positives and I need to be able to add exceptions for the files and the URLs they access so that they do not get picked up by SAFE, my question is two-fold:

1 - URLS:

I have been trying to find ways of adding exceptions but for URLs I get asked to submit them to the malicious submission page on F-Secure. I want to be able to add exceptions and override the browser hookin locally and instantly so that the pages are not flagged as malicious and I can access them. Is this possibe and if so how?

2 - Files and directories

I want to be able to add exceptions for files and directories for real-time scanning. The only thing I can find about this is to "open the main interface, to go tools and click app and file control" but SAFE doesn't have that in the user interface, only the PSB and business editions. There is no such menu under newer versions of SAFE.

Thank you

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I'm only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

With common design - it is possible to allow URL under blockpage (and access website immediately). Also, possible to add URLs to 'allow'-list of "Allowed and denied web sites" before access to it.

Also - should be possible to exclude files/directory with Windows platform.

The only thing I can find about this is to "open the main interface, to go tools and click app and file control" but SAFE doesn't have that in the user interface, only the PSB and business editions. There is no such menu under newer versions of SAFE.

I do use, probably, latest F-Secure SAFE build and this option is still visible.

Maybe it is good to know what is your F-Secure solution (does it branded by ISP maybe?) or what is F-Secure SAFE build there:

Also, what is your OS/platform? And does it fresh installation of F-Secure?

Thanks!

Just an addition:

I think that it is anyway good to transfer such examples to F-Secure Labs:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/inform-us

Just for improve their detections and maybe reduce false positives for certain situations.

• dalirabbit
    dalirabbit Posts: 6 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for answering. I want the same functionality as F-Secure Anti-Virus really. It seems SAFE really is the dumbed down version with no option. I am trying to get to this menu: https://reviewedbypro.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/review/f-secure-total-security-and-privacy_en.jpg and be able to exclude files and directories from scanning which I know will trigger false positives. I simply cannot find this or any other module that gives me that functionality.

F-Secure, can we please get an answer on this please?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@dalirabbit wrote:

Thanks for answering. I want the same functionality as F-Secure Anti-Virus really. It seems SAFE really is the dumbed down version with no option. I am trying to get to this menu and be able to exclude files and directories from scanning which I know will trigger false positives. I simply cannot find this or any other module that gives me that functionality.

F-Secure, can we please get an answer on this please?

Sorry for my reply.

Since there is delay with response by F-Secure.

I'm only an F-Secure user (their home solutions) and it is only my own unofficial feelings.

First of all -> your screenshot is about a little be outdated F-Secure SAFE build.

Current up-to-date F-Secure SAFE builds with a little be another interface and abilities.

But, in general, to exclude files or directories is possible with any of F-Secure SAFE builds for Windows.

For example, latest Online Help Documenation about:

Another common steps to exclude are:

- open F-Secure Main UI by doubleclick desktop F-Secure logo (or click for F-Secure tray-picture);

- choose "Settings" from there;

- find tab with real-time scanning options or manual scan options.

Window should be with 'Exclude..' (check allowed items) words at the bottom.

Recent F-Secure SAFE builds with much more friendly design (and your noted description for "App and file control" is about it).

Knowledgebase articles about:

Possible to use 'Version history' and switch article to some of previous versions (where can be visible instruction for F-Secure SAFE builds from your screenshot).

Spoiler
    Question
    How do I exclude a file or folder from scanning?
    ============
    Answer
    Sometimes you may want to exclude a file or folder from the scan. Excluded items are not scanned unless you remove them from the excluded items list.

Note: Exclusion lists are separate for real-time and manual scanning. For example, if you exclude a file from the real-time scan, it is scanned during the manual scan unless you exclude it from the manual scan as well.

To exclude a file or folder from scanning: 
    1.Click the product icon in the system tray to open the main user interface.
    2.Click Settings.
    3.Do one of the following:
    -- Under Security settings, select Virus protection.
    -- Under Other settings, select Manual scanning.
    4.Click the Exclude files from the scan link. The Exclude from scanning dialog is displayed.
    5.Depending on what you want to exclude from scanning, do one of the following:

To exclude a file, drive, or folder:
    1.Select the Objects tab.
    2.Select the Exclude objects (files, folders…) check box.
    3.Click Add.
    4.Select the file, drive, or folder that you want to exclude from virus scanning. 
    Note: Some drives may be removable drives, such as CD, DVD or network drives. Network drives and empty removable drives cannot be excluded.
    5.Click OK to close the Exclude from scanning dialog.

To exclude a specific file type:
    1.Select the File Types tab.
    2.Select the Exclude files with these extensions checkbox.
    3.Type the file extension, which identifies the type of files you want to exclude, in the field next to the Add button.
    4.Click Add.
    5.Repeat the steps 3 and 4 for any other extension you want to exclude from scanning.
    6.Click OK to close the Exclude from scanning dialog.
    Note: Some file types cannot be excluded and will always be scanned, such as executable files.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info