Firewall AV off, no warning on Icon

Very surprised that the icon in task bar does not have a warning that protection is switched off. Even when rebooting PC, or switch off/switch on next day, same result. I consider this to be a far more important feature than the forced daily updates, with no option to turn off,  which is really annoying me. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi martin86,

Kindly provide us more details for further advise:
    - Your F-Secure version?
    - Your OS version?

Cheers.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• alconsvr
    alconsvr Posts: 26 Observer

Jayson,

You might wish to look at my post  04/032012 on exactly the same subject. My system is Win XP SP3 IS2012.

• Hexo
    Hexo Posts: 240 Active Engager

Mhhh. It´s the same on Windows 7 64bit.

If i turn of the Firewall, the tray icon will not warn. Only a message window pop up and showes, that the Firewall is not workling

This is the message after turn of the Firewall:

firewall_off.png

But... the Tray icon is the same. 

firewall_off2.png

But i think this is "normal". They tray icon show only the Status of the launch pad... and after shutdown the Firewall, the launch pad is still working ^^

On the pc of my parents (they got windows xp sp3) the Firewall service wasn´t working but the don´t noticed it. Why?

Normaly they press the powerbutton on the pc, left the room and after some minutes they returned to work with the pc... BUT a few seconds after booting windows, a message poped up, that the firewall service is not working.

They haven´t seen the notice (it closed after some seconds) and the Trayicon is still fine... and they thought, that everythink is working.

So this isn´t the best solution for waring a user if something isn´t working correct. 

In my opinion is necessary, that the tray icon have to change if something is not working!!!!

Greetz

• [Deleted User]

Hello,

It is indeed correct that the tray icon for Internet Security 2012 is F-Secure Launchpad therefore it would not show the status of Computer Security.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, you may add the F-Secure Gadget to your desktop. The gadget will shown the status of Computer Security. Unfortunately this is not available for Windows XP but the Windows Security Alert (the red shield) shall prompt and notify if your firewall or Anti-virus components is turned off.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Hexo

Sorry, but a gadget is not a substitute for a tray icon

I haven´t got any Gadget on my Desktop i don´t want to use them.

By the way.... i don´t know anyone who use Gadets

• alconsvr

Hello,

It is indeed correct that the tray icon for Internet Security 2012 is F-Secure Launchpad therefore it would not show the status of Computer Security.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, you may add the F-Secure Gadget to your desktop. The gadget will shown the status of Computer Security. Unfortunately this is not available for Windows XP but the Windows Security Alert (the red shield) shall prompt and notify if your firewall or Anti-virus components is turned off.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

Hi,

Just tried it. The Windows shield only shows that the "Windows Firewall" is turned off, and not FS products. Anyway IS 2012 turns off the Win Firewall during installation.

• [Deleted User]

Hi alconsvr,

The Windows Security Center should display the following informations:
    WinXPss1.png

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• alconsvr
    Re: Firewall AV off, no warning on Icon[ Edited ]

18 hours ago - last edited 18 hours ago

Hi alconsvr,

The Windows Security Center should display the following informations:

Jayson.

Hi,

Yes, that is what happens when you switch off AV/Firewall. Not relevant!  In normal use, there is no indication that the AV/Firewall is switched off. Please check  the post from 'hexo', who has the same thoughts as me. Surely you are not suggesting, that on a consumer product, people should look at the status window every time they use their PC? FS Internet Security 2011 and before, had a warning on the tray icon, something like the icon below. Why was the programming changed? That was a retrograde step, along with the changes to automatic update, and many other things, which are really bad.

FS Icon2.JPG

• Hexo

alconsvr is right. 

We need defently the tray icon back!!!

I would never trust this Windows message (Security Center). Sometimes the Security center "lost" the Anti Virus or the Firewall so a lot of people turned this of. 

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info