Riskware Risk

Chirs
Chirs Posts: 6 New Member

Riskware detected on my phone then I deleted the apps. The riskware was 2 modded Kiks and avast found a ad in them both called "mixpanel" that said it let you watch users inside the app. So is riskware a spy virus? Can these type of apps steal files from your phone like gallery pics, SMS, Ect or only spy on you inside the app? Every antivirus scanned the two modded apps as safe with no malware.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

The chances are, it was just adware, but there is also a chance that those ads could have directed the user to a malicious site.  You don't say which phone you have, but if these were installed from either Google Play or the Apple App store, it would be worth reporting the apps to them.

• Chirs

Android and it wasn't from playstore it was a modded kik app. basically a remake of the original eith new features but I always scanned my phone and every antivirus said wasn't malware. but now if I use lookout or secure it say it is riskware. i used avast and checked permissions and saw a ad called mixpanel that said it is to collect user data inside the app. and I wonder if that means spy on stuff I send in the app like text or photos or actually steal sms, photos, ect from my gallery. and yes I had permissions on such as storage, microphone, Ect. what do you think?

• Simon

I can't really say anything categorically, but personally, I wouldn't take the risk of installing apps from outside sources, as there is always the possibility that they have been tampered with.

For what it's worth, I Googled 'mixpanel', and it seems to be some sort of analytics software, so it may just have been collecting anonymous usage data, but I certainly wouldn't want to guarantee that it didn't collect anything else.

If you still have the APK of the app, you could possibly send it off to the F-Secure Labs, and they may analyse it for you, and let you know if it's anything harmful.

Submit Sample

• Chirs

Oh okay and yes I still have the APK files but I am kinda new. How do I send them? do I do it here or is it somewhere else?

• Simon

The link is in my post above, where it says "submit sample".

• Chirs

I found it but it wouldn't let me attach the apk file. 

• Simon

Can you zip it and attach it in a zip folder?  It's possible that they can't do anything with those, which may be why it won't let you attach it, but that maybe one thing worth trying.

• Chirs

I turned it into a zip and it still failed. I can send then url to this apk here? for you to see it or try to examine it?

• Simon

You can send the URL via the same link as above. Just select Send URL, instead of Send File.

• Chirs

Great it worked. I was able to send the url that the file was on even though it had no options set that allows urls connected to files.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info