VPN secure?

LQGuy
LQGuy Posts: 6 Observer

Hello,

I am currently away from home and logged in to a public WiFi, with my Freedome VPN turned on and (allegedly) using a Northwest location in the U.S.

With this on, I just searched for a hotel nearby, and it successfully showed my current location!  My location in no where near the Northwest!

I also tried a website designed to locate me, and it is showing my exact location!  Again, the VPN is turned on and allegedly connected to a server in the Northwest.

I’m greatly concerned that I’m paying for protection that I’m not receiving!  Can you please help?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi LQGuy,

May I know in which device OS did this happen?

Did you see the actual location in your search website? Also which website did you use for finding your location?

• LQGuy
    LQGuy Posts: 6 Observer

Thanks for responding!

this happens on my iPhone 6s Plus, my iPad, and my iMac computers, all of which run Freedome VPN.  And where the VPN connection show as being on and active.

the websites included Marriott.com, the Hyatt and Hilton apps on my iPhone, and I googled a website that lists ones location (but I can’t tell you which website that particular one was).  All located my exact location!

uninstalling and reinstalling Freedome VPN does not resolve the issue.

any thoughts/recommendations?

thanks

chris

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi LQGuy,

It could happen due to a few reasons:

1. If you have location services enabled on your device as mentioned in this article.
    2. The services use WebRTC to determine the real IP as mentioned in this article.
    3. There is a problem with Freedome and it is not turned on for some reason. If you see your own IP address, with for example https://www.iplocation.net/ even though Freedome says it is ON, we’d be interested in investigating this further but we need logs. Please contact support for investigation via chat or phone here.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info